Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Metal grinding and no start

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 11:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Metal grinding and no start

My 2004 F150 has an intermittent startup problem. About every 20 or so start ups, I get a horrible metal on metal grind - like you were trying to turn the key while the ignition was already on. When it happens, I wait, shift gears and try again. This usually does the trick but sometimes it takes 4 or 5 attempts to turn it over.

I just changed out the starter for brand new but unfortunately this made no difference. Actually it seems to happen more now but not as loud of a grind. It also happens more when engine is warmed up already as opposed to cold start.

Really don't want it to be flywheel so if you have any other ideas let me know!

There have been some electrical issues in the past (I've changed out computer and lots of blown fuses from unrelated issue).

V test on battery seems good.

Here's a video of it:

Last edited by PACE2014; 11-10-2016 at 02:32 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:31 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

May be a failing solenoid on the starter. It "pushes" the starters gear to the flywheel to spin it.

If you don't want it to be a flywheel, you better get it checked out; that grinding you are experiencing is most likely the starter gear grinding the teeth of the flywheel.

Or, the flywheel may already have grounded down teeth from when the starter was bad and you replaced it the first time. The flywheel may have a grounded teeth in only one section of its area, so that would explain it not grinding all the time, just when the starter gear hits the bad section/teeth of the flywheel.

You can remove the starter, and turn the flywheel with a large screwdriver, or at the harmonic balancer bolt (with the truck in neutral and wheels blocked for safety), and examine the flywheel teeth through the hole of the starter.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 11-10-2016 at 05:38 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:31 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

10th gens were notorious for having a leaky windshield, which then leaked onto a fuse/relay box. I know because I had one. Went outside one day in a light drizzle and heard my truck trying to start, thought someone was trying to steal my truck. Went around behind the garage and it was trying to start itself, had to pull the battery cables to get it to stop! Where am I going with this in an 11th gen forum. Well it fried my starter and chewed a bad spot in my flywheel. I replaced the starter but left the flywheel. Every once in a while it would stop on the bad spot in the fly wheel and would make that noise. Sometimes it would spin and grind then before I could let off the key it would catch with a loud clunk. Never left me stranded thank god but it very easily could have! It lasted me about 2 years and my mechanic laughed and said he didn't even know how I got so lucky that I never got stranded. He said there was 3 bad spots in the flywheel. Better hope Bucko is right and get that starter replaced. Some starters come with a lifetime warranty and they will get you a new one for free! If its not the solenoid then I would guess its the flywheel, and I would suggest you get it replaced right away! I had 3 starters,1 I bought 2 others were warrantied before I got tired of switching starters and broke down and paid my mechanic to fix it right.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:09 PM

Thanks. I already replaced the starter which included a brand new solenoid, so I feel confident now the solenoid is good. Could it be the starter relay or anything as simple as that? I will take off cover and check teeth of flywheel when I get a chance.

I have read into this a lot with all models and some people go to the trouble and expense of changing flywheel and the problem remains. Could it be something to do with key fob or security system? Just brainstorming here.

I'm up to three starts and no grinding today.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:24 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

If the key allows for the starter to work, then the start circuit itself is good. If the starter (once engaged) spins over the engine at a good rate, I'd say that all is good.

From your description, it sounds to me like you have a section of the flywheel where the teeth are worn/ground.

It could be a binding solenoid on that rebuilt/new starter as well (there are cheap rebuilt ones out there), but if you are confident that it is good, and the wiring at the starter is good/clean, and your battery is healthy, then I'd have the flywheel teeth checked.
The following users liked this post:
PACE2014 (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 12:41 PM

I have plans to check the flywheeel tonight and will update post with discovery.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:06 AM

Default New Flywheel

Well... Tonight I hesitantly removed the starter and rotated engine to inspect flywheel teeth. I have read some people say to use a screwdriver to manually turn wheel but that didn't work for me so I used the crankshaft bolt which is really pretty close and convenient (I think sz. 17 ratchet).

I inspected teeth and they were terrible! There were entire sections that only had 1/3 of the tooth remaining on the one side. Pretty bummed - I thought starter teeth were built purposefully softer than flywheel teeth??

Took a photo and attached it below but without looking from different angles it's hard to tell how bad they are.

I've read replacing a flywheel is a significant job...

The following users liked this post:
03 Heritage Edition (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 12:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PACE2014
Well... Tonight I hesitantly removed the starter and rotated engine to inspect flywheel teeth. I have read some people say to use a screwdriver to manually turn wheel but that didn't work for me so I used the crankshaft bolt which is really pretty close and convenient (I think sz. 17 ratchet).

I inspected teeth and they were terrible! There were entire sections that only had 1/3 of the tooth remaining on the one side. Pretty bummed - I thought starter teeth were built purposefully softer than flywheel teeth??

Took a photo and attached it below but without looking from different angles it's hard to tell how bad they are.

I've read replacing a flywheel is a significant job...

Thanks for sharing your results. Sorry to hear and see your findings, too. This thread really caught my attention yesterday evening. My beloved 2003 F-150 has been doing the same exact thing for a long time as well.

Last edited by 03 Heritage Edition; 11-12-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:10 PM

Yep sounds like a similar problem but hoping for a better outcome for you. Mine gradually became more and more frequent until every 6 or so starts. A mechanic friend of mine runs a door to door and will fix this for under $700 which is some good news. I thought I may have been in the hole for over $1k.

Good luck.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Well if you want to have some fun, call the kid at cheap parts R us and tell him you need a starter with an over size gear in it. I will bet you could get him to spend an hour or so trying to find one!