Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Lower Radiator Hose R/R

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 02:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lower Radiator Hose R/R

This weekend I will be repairing a leak in my radiator system, along with a few other things..

I am pretty sure that the leak is coming from the lower hose end connecting to the radiator. (Is there an easy way to test for a leak location?) There is a fair amount of buildup on the hose and in that area. My topic question is regarding the process of removing and replacing that hose and flushing the system.

I have read to first drain the radiator from the sump in the bottom. Then, I am planning on simply disconnecting the lower hose from the radiator (I have read about the fitting and the removal process) and replacing the new hose.

As for flushing the system, I haven't found a consistent method or one that has been identified as correct or best. Please advise me on the best way to flush the system and if my R/R procedures are sound.

Also, is the motorcraft coolant the most recommened for our trucks?

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
dualfuel (06-21-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 06:12 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

The best way is once you have the system drained and the bottom hose repaired, remove the thermostat and replace the housing. fill with a quality flush and distilled water. Start motor and select full heat and let run till full operating temp. shut down...cool down then drain system ... refill with distilled water only and repeat...drain water and install new thermostat ..fill system with a 50/50 mix of motorcraft Gold coolant and distilled water..done!
The following 2 users liked this post by techrep:
dualfuel (06-21-2016), tcruz0004 (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 09:34 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
The best way is once you have the system drained and the bottom hose repaired, remove the thermostat and replace the housing. fill with a quality flush and distilled water. Start motor and select full heat and let run till full operating temp. shut down...cool down then drain system ... refill with distilled water only and repeat...drain water and install new thermostat ..fill system with a 50/50 mix of motorcraft Gold coolant and distilled water..done!
^Pretty much nailed it.

Throw them spring clamps out also and get some good worm screw style clamps.
The following 3 users liked this post by nrivera04:
dualfuel (06-21-2016), tcruz0004 (06-03-2016), techrep (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 09:36 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

but...do not over tightening them..
dualfuel (06-21-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 12:08 PM

Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

I would only ad 2 things: 1) Zerex ZXG051 is a good, and less expensive alternative to the Motorcraft antifreeze. I also used the Zerex ZXC01 Flush. 2) When I attempted to flush with the T-stat removed, mine spewed water everywhere. Not sure if it was a gasket issue. Just keep an eye on it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mulestang:
Old 06-03-2016, 01:15 PM

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

I changed three coolant hoses in my 2006 Lariat last year. As I recall getting to the clamp on the engine end of the lower hose was a bear. I don't think I could have done it with out the special ratcheting clamp tool I purchased.

This style
Name:  shopping.jpg
Views: 3881
Size:  409.2 KB
The following 2 users liked this post by Aeromech:
Old 06-03-2016, 02:51 PM

Thanks for all of the help everyone! I'm going to have all day to work on it tomorrow so hopefully no big show stoppers. Techrep thanks for a solid explanation..

I've read about someone who tried to refill his system after a flush and drain, and said his system retained a lot of fluid (which was completely water) If I just drain from the sump at the bottom of the radiator will it drain completely after I do both flushes or is there anything special i need to do to make sure its all out? Also, should I leave the the radiator cap off or loose during the flushes/initial refill to allow air to escape?

I'll be buying: new lower radiator hose, new thermostat, worm screw style clams, a hose to drain coolant, Motorcraft gold or Zerex ZXG051 coolant, Zerex flush.. Anything I'm items or steps I'm forgetting?

This will be my first time working with the rad system so thank you for the help and patience! I'll take some pictures tomorrow too.
dualfuel (06-21-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 07:20 PM

Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by tcruz0004
Thanks for all of the help everyone! I'm going to have all day to work on it tomorrow so hopefully no big show stoppers. Techrep thanks for a solid explanation.. I've read about someone who tried to refill his system after a flush and drain, and said his system retained a lot of fluid (which was completely water) If I just drain from the sump at the bottom of the radiator will it drain completely after I do both flushes or is there anything special i need to do to make sure its all out? Also, should I leave the the radiator cap off or loose during the flushes/initial refill to allow air to escape? I'll be buying: new lower radiator hose, new thermostat, worm screw style clams, a hose to drain coolant, Motorcraft gold or Zerex ZXG051 coolant, Zerex flush.. Anything I'm items or steps I'm forgetting? This will be my first time working with the rad system so thank you for the help and patience! I'll take some pictures tomorrow too.
Make sure you buy a bunch of jugs of distilled water. I think I used about 12-15 gallons. Probably overkill, but I flushed with DW until it ran clear.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mulestang:
Old 06-03-2016, 07:36 PM

Thanks for that heads up! I realized that tonight after I came home with 5 gallons that I'm gonna need to go get a lot more to finish the flushes.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:40 PM

The lower radiator hose has been changed, new screw style clamps installed, and system flushed. All of the post above helped a lot, and here's some more good gouge with pictures to pass along.

I started by draining the system. I put a hose into the sump after I pulled the plug out. Antifreeze got all over the place before I got the hose in there, so keep in mind its a pretty dirty job. Then I removed the clamps from the radiator end of the hose - easy step. For the hose end thats connected to the engine block you need to remove the oil filter. Then reinstall the new hose and dont over tighten the clamps. Finally put the oil filter back in place.

Next I removed the thermostat by disconnecting the airflow chamber and engine filter housing. Its a total for 5 bolts and only takes a few minutes. Then I disconnected the engine block end of the top rad hose and removed the gasket and thermostat. Next I added the flush and water. Since the thermostat is removed, the engine will never reach operating temp, but I ran it for about 15 minutes with occasional revving. I had to leave the cap off and add water while the air purged from the system. Next I drained and flushed a few more times. Each time I only drained about 2.5 gallons. I think if the front end was lower than the back it would have drained more but it worked fine. By the end it was clearly water.

Next I installed the new thermostat and gasket, and then filled the system with mostly antifreeze since the it already had about 2 gallons of water. I ended up adding 2 gallons of antifreeze and .5 gallons of distilled water.

It works great so far. I'll keep the forum posted if I need to do any more work, but everything looks good right now.

Leak coming from the end connected to the radiator

Hose in sump

Oil filter removed

New hose and clamps

Quick Reply: Lower Radiator Hose R/R