Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

lower control arm "bump stops" broke off

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default lower control arm "bump stops" broke off

It may be because of the 2.5 leveling kit and 295s but any reason that would happen and should I get it fixed? Not sure if they are actually called bump stops though
Old 04-17-2015, 09:34 PM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Waking this thread . Did you ever find out about this? I have an ABS light on so I was under looking and I happened to notice mine are busted too. My drivers side is a fairly recent bust as the metal is clean. My passenger side looks like it broke a while back. Anyone else notice this as well?
Old 04-18-2015, 07:40 AM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

There aren't bump stops on the control arm. It's built into the strut.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually on the long run I believe I may have wrecked one of the u-joints in the boot of the front half shaft. Maybe by turning way to far while in motion. Makes sense...at least that's what my educated guess is. So watch out for that
Old 04-18-2015, 08:31 PM

Received 267 Likes on 196 Posts

If this is the "bump stop" you are talking about, then I also have the same problem. I also have a 2.5 level.

Has anyone seen this without a level on their truck?
Old 04-18-2015, 08:32 PM

Sorry, forgot to add the pictures
Old 04-18-2015, 08:36 PM
Chive So Hard

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

That is there to stop the sterring knuckle from turning any further. If you are feeling a jolt through your steering wheel and in the front, chances are you have a list of bad ball joints.
The following users liked this post:
johnny_tucson (04-18-2015)
Old 04-19-2015, 09:25 PM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Ahh. Pictures are worth.....a bunch of words. Like KCCO said, that is the steering stop. Bump stops are rubber bumpers that are for the suspension to hit before bottoming out. I'll keep an eye on those wearing differently, as I just installed my leveling spacers.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Toshbar
Ahh. Pictures are worth.....a bunch of words. Like KCCO said, that is the steering stop. Bump stops are rubber bumpers that are for the suspension to hit before bottoming out. I'll keep an eye on those wearing differently, as I just installed my leveling spacers.
I know they are not actually bump stops, that is what the OP refered to them as which is why I put the term in quotes. I was simply putting a picture to see if that is what Homer had break off on his A-arms. My steering does not jolt, and my ball joints are perfectly fine.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:51 AM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I realize and have always known they're not bump stops either, in fact I never referred to them as such (the OP did). I apologize for not clearing that up when I responded to the post (usually I do but I was in a rush). Bump stops are on the suspension, I had removed my rear ones for placement of my airbags. I didn't have time to respond as I had to deal with a family emergency. Anyways, what I'm referring to is the steering stops or limiters (which on my ATV is actually on the pitman arm). In our case, they appear to be on the lower control arms however I've never looked to see if there's any limiters anywhere else in the steering system on our trucks (haven't had a chance yet).

Dembruski, your pictures were exactly what I'm talking about. I'll post mine up tomorrow as well to show the fresh break on the drivers side (passenger side is an old break as noticeable by the dull metal), drivers side is very fresh as it's clean.

Anyways, yes, it's basically the steering knuckle stop. I've taken pictures as well and I actually don't over-extend my steering very often so I was very surprised to see this happen.

I've just changed my tires about two months ago and my ball-joints + tie-rods looked good. I've barely driven my truck so if my balljoints have seriously degraded in two months I'd be pretty amazed... I'm not convinced this is due to worn balljoints. I also don't max out my steering very often, if at all.... Especially in 4x4... I'm very particular, even with front wheel drive cars as I know CV's are hard. I'm a pretty die-hard ATVer so I've snapped enough CV's to know as I do all of the work myself even on that and I run pretty oversized stuff .

I'll take a better look at it here very soon and see if I can tell what's up. I wouldn't be surprised if the level contributes to this though... If that is the case, I'll just caution to others about performing sharp turns (again, which I don't often do).

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow though. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this. It hasn't created any problems for me at this point.

Last edited by homer; 04-20-2015 at 03:06 AM.

Quick Reply: lower control arm "bump stops" broke off