Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

For the love of pete, what spark plug?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For the love of pete, what spark plug?

Can anyone state with confidence as if your life depended on it what friggin spark plug we should be putting in the 5.4 now? I have a 2007 and am about to take on the dreaded plug change, but confused as a baby raccoon on which plug is the best to use. I was told by the Ford dealer that the old plug was an OEM PZT14F (SP-507) and that it is now a PZT1F (SP-462). I also understand there is a Champion specifically designed as a replacement, but there are differing opinions on running champions in our trucks. I also hear about a Brisk plug but understand it is actually for heavily modified 5.4s with more horsepower. And then there are NGKs for trucks that burn Flexfuel (not my truck) and Autolites that I dont hear much about at all.

I know the easy answer is to go buy the $18 PZT1F from the dealer, but struggling to lay down $150 for plugs. The only ones I could find at Rockauto were the older junkier version SP-507s and if Im going to do this change out, Id rather put in a better plug. THOUGHTS?
Old 05-10-2009, 12:40 AM
Average Joe

Originally Posted by akakeester
Can anyone state with confidence as if your life depended on it what friggin spark plug we should be putting in the 5.4 now? I have a 2007 and am about to take on the dreaded plug change, but confused as a baby raccoon on which plug is the best to use. I was told by the Ford dealer that the old plug was an OEM PZT14F (SP-507) and that it is now a PZT1F (SP-462). I also understand there is a Champion specifically designed as a replacement, but there are differing opinions on running champions in our trucks. I also hear about a Brisk plug but understand it is actually for heavily modified 5.4s with more horsepower. And then there are NGKs for trucks that burn Flexfuel (not my truck) and Autolites that I dont hear much about at all.

I know the easy answer is to go buy the $18 PZT1F from the dealer, but struggling to lay down $150 for plugs. The only ones I could find at Rockauto were the older junkier version SP-507s and if Im going to do this change out, Id rather put in a better plug. THOUGHTS?
Just get the thought out of your head. You are going to pay about 150 for the plugs no matter what kind you buy. (unless you buy junk)

I would suggest the Brisk plugs because of the one piece design, but they are a 30k plug. You don't want to wait 100k anyway, trust me. The Motorcraft will work too, just make sure they follow the TSB when they're changed.

Other than that, I'd say to stay away from the Champions, I've never heard anything good about them.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:39 AM

go buy platinum spark plugs
Old 05-10-2009, 01:44 AM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by UnleahedFord
that wasnt the answer he was looking for......That being said, Brisk plugs are the way to go.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:11 AM

I appreciate the inputs guys. Anyone know what the recommended Motorcraft plug number it now. I cant tell by research if it is the SP507 or SP462. Both can be bought through Rockauto for much less than from the dealer.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by UnleahedFord
Re-read his post. Wrong answer. It would be wrong for those that search in the future and read your answer.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by akakeester

GO WITH THE BRISK.You will like it and also the one piece are always better.I have them in mine and couldnt be hapier.Do you still need the motorcraft part number? When do you do this change just be prepared for maybe one to brake off so i recomend bying the tool(both of them)just in case one breaks off.Trust me i know,my number 7broke off and ordered the tool they make for it and it worked and hey it saved me almost 3grand the stealership wanted to take it out after the plug broke off.When you do this,soak the plugs overnight if you can(i used pb-blaster)that way if you get some inside the walls it will not hydro lock your engine and you will be fine.Also just take er easy with the wrench,take your time,dont rush it..
Old 05-10-2009, 02:46 PM

Hey Rngr, have you done any major HP mods to your truck? From what I have read, it suggests the Brisk plugs work best for fairly modified trucks but Im fairly close to stock. Good suggestions on the plug change. Ill definitely follow your guidance and make sure I have quick access to the break off tool.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:45 PM
2020 Sport

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Well let me jump in and ask a follow up question for those of us who would want Brisk plugs....

On their site they don't list any ford truck other than mustang gt for plugs:
http://www.briskracing.com/home.php

Where can I find these plugs specifically for the F-150 '05 5.4 Triton?
Old 05-10-2009, 04:06 PM

Just my opinion: Go back with what came out of it unless it is modified. Motorcraft plugs are factory replacement. NGK is a great brand also, I use NGK plugs in everything. Don't know much about Champions.

Quick Reply: For the love of pete, what spark plug?