Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Loud grinding noise and flashing dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Loud grinding noise and flashing dash lights

Hey guys I have a 2005 f150 that I replaced the alternator about 2.5 months ago. Ever since I have had electrical issues and now a really loud noise,pulsing dash lights and eventually all gauges shut off and reset. I noticed when the noise happens the voltage meter is spiked up to 3/4 and when it resets the dash and radio it goes to max. I also can't get past 1/4 throttle with out this happening. I don't know what it is. The battery is brand new just got it yesterday still having major issues. Any help is appreciated thanks guys.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:17 AM

Here's a link to the video if you want to see what happens
Old 04-18-2017, 05:01 AM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Bad alternator. Just because ti's new doesn't mean it's good.Spiking gauge means the regulator internal to the alternator is shot.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by gone postal
Bad alternator. Just because ti's new doesn't mean it's good.Spiking gauge means the regulator internal to the alternator is shot.
Okay and that's what is making the grinding noise too?
Old 04-19-2017, 12:31 PM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

Can you get more info on where the grinding is coming from? Was this an OEM alternator you put in or something aftermarket? I had an issue once with a high output alternator from some place online that specializes in high output alternators. With this alternator, I could be driving down the road and my stereo would cut out for a second and at the same time you'd hear this weird sound coming from under the hood.

I replaced that alternator with a mechman, and the issues went away. I returned the other one, they INSISTED nothing was wrong with it and nailed me a restocking fee.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by scobar
Can you get more info on where the grinding is coming from? Was this an OEM alternator you put in or something aftermarket? I had an issue once with a high output alternator from some place online that specializes in high output alternators. With this alternator, I could be driving down the road and my stereo would cut out for a second and at the same time you'd hear this weird sound coming from under the hood.

I replaced that alternator with a mechman, and the issues went away. I returned the other one, they INSISTED nothing was wrong with it and nailed me a restocking fee.
The noise seems to be coming from the center/passenger side area when the windows are closed. And no it is a remanufactured motorcraft one from a shop by me that rebuilds them. The noise has gotten so bad that it stays on for minutes at a time and the voltage gauge spikes completely.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:54 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 475 Likes on 375 Posts

Take the truck to the place where you got the remanufactured Motorcraft alternator, and let them see firsthand how it is acting. My guess is that they will want it back and issue you another one.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bucko
Take the truck to the place where you got the remanufactured Motorcraft alternator, and let them see firsthand how it is acting. My guess is that they will want it back and issue you another one.
Yep that's exactly what they did today. Gave me another one no problem. Hopefully it works when I install it tonight.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:16 AM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Walshy569
The noise seems to be coming from the center/passenger side area when the windows are closed. And no it is a remanufactured motorcraft one from a shop by me that rebuilds them. The noise has gotten so bad that it stays on for minutes at a time and the voltage gauge spikes completely.
Sounds a lot like what I was experiencing, but your example is more extreme.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:03 PM

Default Question

Did the alternator fix your guys problems?