Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

long cranking time

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default long cranking time

I have a 2006 4.6l 4x4. When i go to start it up it cranks for bout 10 - 15 seconds before it starts and it starts every time. I have replaced fuel pump, fuel pump drivers module,throttle body, fuel tank pressure sensor, coil packs, starter (go figure). Nothing seems to fix the problem. also when it does start it spits out a puff of black smoke and smells like gas. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:03 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Bad Cat's maybe? You throwing any codes? I assume the battery has been tested.
The following users liked this post:
thkmfg (09-01-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 09:37 PM

Received 125 Likes on 114 Posts

battery??
thkmfg (09-01-2013)
Old 08-31-2013, 02:01 PM

battery is good. not sure what that has to do with it. any info is appreciated. also no codes
Old 08-31-2013, 03:19 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by thkmfg
I have a 2006 4.6l 4x4. When i go to start it up it cranks for bout 10 - 15 seconds before it starts and it starts every time. I have replaced fuel pump, fuel pump drivers module,throttle body, fuel tank pressure sensor, coil packs, starter (go figure). Nothing seems to fix the problem. also when it does start it spits out a puff of black smoke and smells like gas. Any help would be appreciated.
After replacing all that stuff, I assume you replaced the fuel filter too? Man, if not...that'd be the first thing I'd do. If that is not the issue ... I would try this...

Turn the key to on position (don't start) and leave-on for about 5 seconds. Repeat this 3-4 times and on the last attempt, engage the starter and try to start the truck. If the engine starts right up, then you have a fuel pressure bleed-off problem somewhere. If it STILL takes 10-15 seconds to start (after essentially priming the fuel system 3-4 times), I would think there is a fuel restriction issue in the system. If it is not the fuel filter then perhaps clogged / dirty lines anywhere between the pump & filter or between the filter & fuel rail.
thkmfg (09-01-2013)
Old 09-01-2013, 08:30 PM

fuel filter has been replaced. when it finally does start it smell like gas real bad. Could that be an injector leaking down and causing it to flood out a cylinder which is why i smell gas so bad? if it is, is there a way to find out which injector it is. I get a cylinder 3 misfire every once in a while but goes out and dont come back for a month or so.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:22 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

fuel filter has been replaced. when it finally does start it smell like gas real bad. Could that be an injector leaking down and causing it to flood out a cylinder which is why i smell gas so bad? if it is, is there a way to find out which injector it is. I get a cylinder 3 misfire every once in a while but goes out and dont come back for a month or so.
You can't smell the gas until it starts? I guess that does sound like a leaky injector and could also contribute to a fuel PSI problem. I don't know exactly how the PCM handles a low fuel-pressure situation, but I would not be surprised if it does not tell the COPs to fire until a minimum fuel PSI is met (whether that would be measured at the tank or the fuel-rail, I don't know.

I guess if you have an intermittent, yet repetitive problem with #3, that would be the first place to look. Of course, if you are going to bleed the pressure off of the fuel system (and remove the fuel rail) to get to the #3 injector, you might as well have a look at them all (at least on the passenger side).

If you do have an injector that is leaking fluid into the #3 combustion chamber, I would expect that your bank 2 CAT is taking a pounding. Could even be clogged-up. Do you have a CEL? If the bank 2 CAT is bad, it should throw a code. And if the bank 2 CAT is plugged, that too would make the engine hard to start.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:04 PM

The only cel that i get is #3 cylinder misfire. It happens about every other month. No other cel's
Old 04-03-2019, 09:28 PM

Default Long cranking time

hey how you doing did you ever find out the problem because I’m having the same problem I need help
Old 04-03-2019, 09:46 PM

Received 908 Likes on 465 Posts

battery is good. not sure what that has to do with it. any info is appreciated. also no codes
Battery can volt out good but have a dead cell resulting in longer crank time. Not saying this is your issues of course.

Quick Reply: long cranking time