Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Limited slip clutch disks are chattering again

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 05:47 PM
06 F150 supercrew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Limited slip clutch disks are chattering again

What in the hell do you think would make them chatter again? I replaced them last year in February, put in synthetic 75/140 gear lube and a bottle of Ford friction modifier. A year later and 12,000 miles they are chattering again. I change the diff fluid last weekend, it seems to have gotten a little better, but a very small change. She is still chattering around corners. What do you guys think? I used a different brand gear lube this time and still the same. I also added a new bottle of motorcraft friction modifier to this new differential fluid change.

I also replaced the input seal when I changed the fliud last weekend, it was starting to seep.

So any thoughts on this? I know the disks are a problem area for Ford, but 12K on new disks??? That seems premature to me to be making noise again.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:15 PM
FLARESIDE MAN !!!

Originally Posted by ryguy
What in the hell do you think would make them chatter again? I replaced them last year in February, put in synthetic 75/140 gear lube and a bottle of Ford friction modifier. A year later and 12,000 miles they are chattering again. I change the diff fluid last weekend, it seems to have gotten a little better, but a very small change. She is still chattering around corners. What do you guys think? I used a different brand gear lube this time and still the same. I also added a new bottle of motorcraft friction modifier to this new differential fluid change.

I also replaced the input seal when I changed the fliud last weekend, it was starting to seep.

So any thoughts on this? I know the disks are a problem area for Ford, but 12K on new disks??? That seems premature to me to be making noise again.

when you replaced the clutch packs what shim did you use??? sounds like there to tight.. typically use only 0.30/.025 inch(shim)..
Old 03-23-2010, 08:48 PM
06 F150 supercrew

I used the same size shims that were in there from factory
Old 03-23-2010, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just ignore it.....thats what i do. i fixed mine and its back already. now i just drive the hell out of it and try to stay off this site.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:26 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Just wondering,, did you soak the clutch disks before you installed them? Some people don't, and then it takes forever for the fluid and modifier to make its way into the disks.

My suggestion, throw that factory LSD out, and buy a Truetrac, and that will NEVER happen to you again.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this issue also sometimes referred to as a shuddder that others have posted about? Less about turning at slow speeds and more about feeling a shudder in the rear end when taking off from a stop or when the trans downshifts to a lower gear under acceleration?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:02 AM
06 F150 supercrew

Yep the disks were soaked for 20 minutes before installation. Just ticks me off that they are doing it again so soon after I put them in.

Yes the same shudder you describe is what I am calling a chatter
Old 03-24-2010, 09:04 AM
06 F150 supercrew

Originally Posted by tylerboyd
just ignore it.....thats what i do. i fixed mine and its back already. now i just drive the hell out of it and try to stay off this site.
Good point, I have no intention of changed them again. Not until the rear end shells out then I will do the whole thing.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:19 PM
FLARESIDE MAN !!!

Originally Posted by ryguy
Good point, I have no intention of changed them again. Not until the rear end shells out then I will do the whole thing.

the problem is that you used the same size shim that was in there to start, the clutches are to tight they swell when thry get hot, the package of clutchs came with different size shims if you decide to do this again or if you have the shims use the smallest/thinest shim this will take care of your concern and it will work as normal and yes it will not come back!!
Old 03-24-2010, 06:14 PM
06 F150 supercrew

Ok but if that was the case, wouldn't they have chattered right from the start? Why would it not start doing it until 12,000 miles later? Heck in 12K they would have some wear on them and be partly wore out and have more play in them now then they did when new.

Wouldn't the new disks I got from Ford be the same size as the originals? If so why would Ford use that same size shim from the get go?

Quick Reply: Limited slip clutch disks are chattering again