Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Let's See Those XL's

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 02:11 AM
General White

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's See Those XL's

I figured since we have everything from XLT to King Ranch, why not give the base models a chance. I know there are some guys out there that would be very impressed with some XL's. And others with XL's looking for ideas.

Anyone with me?

I'll start it off...
Here's my 06 SCab 6.5.
Soon to come: 3in. body lift, towing mirrors, stock steelies, Edge or Bully Dog, Recon cab lights, locking rear, and quite a bit more.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:10 AM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

We've got an 08 red XL, some pics in my album.
What kind of locking rear do you have?
Old 04-09-2011, 08:32 AM
Glen

Thanks for starting this thread. Mine's an '06, 4.2 5 speed. I'd like to paint my bumpers, starting with the upper front. For the aftermarket covers, there is always a separate one for the XL and they say the ones for the XLT, Lariat, etc., won't fit. Well I don't want a textured XL replacement. I want a PTM. So, will the upper front bumper cover for an XLT fit an XL? After I do this, level and wheels/tires to follow.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:51 AM
General White

Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
We've got an 08 red XL, some pics in my album.
What kind of locking rear do you have?
I don't have one yet. But I was thinking an arb. I'm not sure. I've gotta read up more on them.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

05 XL 4x4 4.6L

First a work truck, now a daily driver.

Added - power windows, locks with keyless remote, mirrors, leather wheel with cruise. audiophile with Bazooka powered sub, XLT cluster with tach, auto dimming rearview with compass and temp, power tailgate lock, XLT wheels, cloth seats, Xstang tonneau, etc.....

Old 04-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Glen

I'd like to do some of the same, but might it make more sense to trade the XL for an XLT?
Old 04-09-2011, 10:14 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jmpancoast
05 XL 4x4 4.6L

First a work truck, now a daily driver.

Added - power windows, locks with keyless remote, mirrors, leather wheel with cruise. audiophile with Bazooka powered sub, XLT cluster with tach, auto dimming rearview with compass and temp, power tailgate lock, XLT wheels, cloth seats, Xstang tonneau, etc.....
Do you have some close up pics of your power window/lock setup?
Old 04-09-2011, 11:08 PM
General White

^^^x2
I am going to be doing that soon as well and was thinking about swapping out door panels from an XLT.

Nice truck though. Something about long beds get me. I love em. Good job jmpancoast.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:14 PM
General White

Originally Posted by gforrest2
Thanks for starting this thread. Mine's an '06, 4.2 5 speed. I'd like to paint my bumpers, starting with the upper front. For the aftermarket covers, there is always a separate one for the XL and they say the ones for the XLT, Lariat, etc., won't fit. Well I don't want a textured XL replacement. I want a PTM. So, will the upper front bumper cover for an XLT fit an XL? After I do this, level and wheels/tires to follow.
If you're talking about the piece between the grille and bumper, I'm sure it will. I don't see why it wouldn't. I was gonna sand mine down to the bone basically, and repaint it to see if that works. If all else fails and i can't swap it out, ill just buy one from lmctruck. They sell the paintable ones for i think 349. I'm not 100% on the price. I may have gotten it mixed with another part.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
Do you have some close up pics of your power window/lock setup?
Originally went with universal power window set-up and selected them based on the switch pads. Wanted something which I could use to cover the crank holes. These were fine for a while, but got tired of them being so slow. I ended up buying OEM regulators.

Locks were Automate brand by Viper. No switches to mess with. Lift the driver's side lock or door handle, both sides open. Using key on one side opens both. I put an actuator on my tailgate lock and wired up to the door locks. With the tonneau, gives me a little security in the bed that can be locked and unlocked with the remote.