Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Led light bar in bumper question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Led light bar in bumper question

Please forgive me but I'm on my phone and can't get any results searching....I'm trying to figure out what size light bar fits in the bumper opening...will a 30 go in my 05 opening or should I do a 21.5?

Last edited by onewheelneil; 06-27-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Believe I had a 21" in my front bumper. Had to trim those little plastic side grill things a little. But went in super easy
Old 06-28-2015, 05:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

rigid industries makes brackets to mount a 20 inch bar in the opening
http://www.rigidindustries.com/mounting-options/46519
Old 06-28-2015, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by dasswright
Believe I had a 21" in my front bumper. Had to trim those little plastic side grill things a little. But went in super easy
Thanks.previous owner removed all that trim in there allready....I think I'll be just about right with a 21.thanks man
Old 06-28-2015, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by RichP9
rigid industries makes brackets to mount a 20 inch bar in the opening
http://www.rigidindustries.com/mounting-options/46519
Thanks bud.ordering them now!
Old 06-28-2015, 11:46 PM

Received 143 Likes on 109 Posts

You said that you have an 05 and on the link posted for the rigid mounts it says 2006-08. I know they changed the design of the fog lights in 06. But I'm not sure about anything else. Hopefully they'll fit if you did order them!
Old 06-28-2015, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by connorfx4
You said that you have an 05 and on the link posted for the rigid mounts it says 2006-08. I know they changed the design of the fog lights in 06. But I'm not sure about anything else. Hopefully they'll fit if you did order them!
Yeah,I saw that....I have big hammer,lol
Old 06-29-2015, 05:41 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

One item you need to consider when placing anything in the bumper openings (assuming you are talking about the lower bumper opening) is the transmission cooler and radiator air flow.

Items placed in the lower opening are going to cut down on the air flow coming it; your transmission temps will rise.

Just something to consider. If you have a ScanGuage, track your transmission temps before and after installing a large item in the lower opening; you'll see what I'm referring to.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So , what type of light are you going to use? I ran a 120 watt which was 3 watt LEDs . Got it for $50. Thought it was pretty great. Untill I started using 5 and 10 watt chips. I really like the white amber combo .
One mentioned obstructing the air flow which is a highly valid concern. Personally never had a prob with trans rad or any cooling probs... But if you do, might be a good excuse to run some e fans. I covered the lower section of radiator with a 42" double. No probs and I monitor my temps religiously .
Wow, I'm all over the place here .
After my first light bar I got led fever. And I just can't get enough . There's a relative science regarding offroad lighting . Do your homework and search for deals and enjoy. Post a pic when you got it lit up ;
Old 06-29-2015, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by dasswright
So , what type of light are you going to use? I ran a 120 watt which was 3 watt LEDs . Got it for $50. Thought it was pretty great. Untill I started using 5 and 10 watt chips. I really like the white amber combo .
One mentioned obstructing the air flow which is a highly valid concern. Personally never had a prob with trans rad or any cooling probs... But if you do, might be a good excuse to run some e fans. I covered the lower section of radiator with a 42" double. No probs and I monitor my temps religiously .
Wow, I'm all over the place here .
After my first light bar I got led fever. And I just can't get enough . There's a relative science regarding offroad lighting . Do your homework and search for deals and enjoy. Post a pic when you got it lit up ;
Efans are on the list for sure,regardless. I put lifetime led headlights and foglights in it the other week and I have had the fever ever since....I'm fixing to get silly with leds...this is one was my only concern just because of the mixed size issues with the different years.....I just like to order the right thing the first time.....pics are to come for sure...thanks for the advice and input!!!

Quick Reply: Led light bar in bumper question