Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

led/hid headlights? brand recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 12:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default led/hid headlights? brand recommendations?

hey all, wondering what your opinion is about led vs hid headlights and what brands you would recommend i was leaning towards these leds
http://offroadledbars.com/olb-cree-l...-plug-and-play

also looking not to spend an arm and a leg.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running alphahid.com instant on HID kit and have been pretty happy. They're not actually instant on like LED but pretty close, maybe 1-2 secs for full brightness. They're $80 I believe

Those LEDs are pretty expensive, if you're not trying to spend much I'd check ebay/ali.

Upload pics with whichever you get, I'd like to see the results.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:19 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

If you are wanting to install HID's in a non projection type headlight housing, don't!

They splatter light in non projection housings. You loose light projection, and its blinding to oncoming drivers.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
If you are wanting to install HID's in a non projection type headlight housing, don't!

They splatter light in non projection housings. You loose light projection, and its blinding to oncoming drivers.
... and another man's opinion is, if you're wanting to install HIDs in a non-projection headlight housing... "Go For It"!

I have Kensun HIDs in the stock halogen housings on my 2016 XLT Sport, and I love them. I do not feel that they "spaltter" light at all (the pattern looks exactly as it did with my halogen bulbs), nor do I feel that I have lost any light (on the contrary... they seem a lot brighter). In addition, they seem to project just as far. I haven't had them that long yet, but I haven't had one person flash me yet. I parked my F-150 next to my brother's the other night, and the only difference I saw between his stock halogens and my HIDs was the color and the brightness.

My kit was $50 on Amazon, and I spent another $20 on the battery-direct, relay-style wiring kit. I like what I have, and I didn't have to spend $1,000 on aftermarket housings to get what I was looking for. I'm not 100% sure if there's a big difference between the way the '04 -'08 housings spread the light vs. the way my '16 housing spreads the light, but I've seen plenty of people poo-poo the mere thought of putting HIDs in the halogen housing on my '16, and I am happy with the end result... so I say do it.

Last edited by TTKammer; 02-27-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:31 PM

Received 186 Likes on 150 Posts

If you are looking for an HID kit, contact Nick at Diode Dynamics.

I believe they are Vendor on here.

JT
Old 02-27-2017, 03:35 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Whos looking for a HID kit? Surely not the OP whos last post was 2 years ago.......
The following users liked this post:
Baja Kits (02-28-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 04:18 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

Well naturally we'll recommend our XHP series LED's for your headlights as they mimic your stock light output very well (just throw more light out).

I'd avoid Kensun lights. I tried them on my old Nissan Frontier and they were just horrible. Then again, the Frontier lights SUCK worse then Ford.

OPT7 gets OK reviews online. They are cheaper then ours but they are small and plastic feeling. So not sure about their build quality BUT it's another option if you don't want to try ours out.

For HID you definitely don't want to run them in your stock housings. HOWEVER if you have your heart set on HID I'd recommend Morimoto over anybody else. They just put out a VERY nice kit. They give you almost everything you need in the box, VERY nice kit. Best I've seen out of all the HID kits.

Their Elite HID kit puts out a BIT more light then our XHP series kits, but they are more money and require a lot more wiring.

Other LED kits on the market, well Putco's Pro version are pretty much the same as our XHP70 kits but they don't use a fan. They use a braided heatsink material. And they are a lot more money.

Sooo there are some options for you. Naturally I recommended ours which are VERY popular but also recommended some of the competition in case you want to try their lights out for some reason as well.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:21 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

This is for the 2 vendors: what member are you suggesting hid or led kits to????????
Old 02-27-2017, 05:30 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

Im replying to the OP... vancity... I assume Baja was responding to him also as he/she is the one that made the thread...

Just realized this thread is 2 years old, lol... i didn't even check the date... well van if you are STILL looking for advice... there ya go
Old 02-27-2017, 07:46 PM

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko

I found the same thing in stock housings with LEDs. I was seeing the tops of
trees, the underside of overpasses, tops of buildings, Pluto, ect, ect.

Quick Reply: led/hid headlights? brand recommendations?