Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Leak Even After Replacing 3rd Brake Light??

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 04:38 PM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Leak Even After Replacing 3rd Brake Light??

The other day after heavy rain I noticed water drops on rear seat top on the passenger ride. Windows would fog too. I replaced the third brake light with the oem one on amazon (the old one's seal was crap and shrunken). Well today it rained heavily and I checked and there weren't any leaks where I initially saw but now the rear driver's side headliner corner was wet and a few water drops flowed out when I pulled on the liner a little bit. Nothing else is wet on the seat, under the seat, or carpet. Did I over tighten the brake light screws too much? Or am I looking at the stupid window seal leaking ?
Old 06-21-2017, 04:47 PM

Also looked like there's some condensation inside the housing -_-
Old 06-21-2017, 05:05 PM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

Dorman part? The housing may have separated. When I installed mine, I used some gasket maker. That sealed it up tight.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:13 PM

It was a genuine Ford part sold by Ford on Amazon. I removed the housing and didn't see any wetness under it, however this time I held the light down THEN screwed it back. And looking at it now, both corners of the rear cab's headliner are wet. With the driver side being the most wet. This is frustrating
Old 06-21-2017, 07:20 PM

Should I RTV it or Silicone it? At this point I got new bulbs for my light so I don't think I'll have to remove the housing for a LONG time.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:41 AM

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Mine is cracked, it will go months without blowing the bulb, but sometimes will blow 3 in a week. It doesn't leak into my cab yet. I would make sure it is dry and try the silicone route. Mine is too, but still blows a bulb from time to time.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jojodapyro
Mine is cracked, it will go months without blowing the bulb, but sometimes will blow 3 in a week. It doesn't leak into my cab yet. I would make sure it is dry and try the silicone route. Mine is too, but still blows a bulb from time to time.
Thank you! If you're blowing bulbs though there's gotta be something wrong. I'm fairly sure my old bulbs were original based on how they looked too. And yeah I'll RTV it and see if it cures it. It's not a big leak, just dampens the corners.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:51 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Default I would and will silicone mine when I have trouble .

As for bulbs blowing due to moisture , I would drill from under neath a small hole on each end to let water out ,so no matter how truck sits it will drain .Plus the air circulation helps . I've had to do this on my fog lights after hurricane flood and I have done it on various plastic headlight assemblies over the years .
Of course on the third brake light I would put a new one on there first but silicone it in .
Old 06-22-2017, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by redfishtd
As for bulbs blowing due to moisture , I would drill from under neath a small hole on each end to let water out ,so no matter how truck sits it will drain .Plus the air circulation helps . I've had to do this on my fog lights after hurricane flood and I have done it on various plastic headlight assemblies over the years .
Of course on the third brake light I would put a new one on there first but silicone it in .
Good to know people agree with the silicone!! Can't trust these rinky foam seals. It definitely improved the leak but I'd rather almost permanently attach the housing to the cab than for it to leak. I've seen good results from people who have RTV'd it. Also a note on the fog lights, my friend did the same thing and drilled in holes because every time he'd go mudding it'd fill with water!
Old 06-22-2017, 11:26 AM

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LariatDude
Thank you! If you're blowing bulbs though there's gotta be something wrong. I'm fairly sure my old bulbs were original based on how they looked too. And yeah I'll RTV it and see if it cures it. It's not a big leak, just dampens the corners.
Condensation will blow your bulbs. Just like a leaky headlight.