Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Key not turning

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key not turning

Hey guys I have a intermittent problem.
My key will not turn in the ignition, I dont know if i need a new key (the transponder is bad) or if I need a new ignition switch?
has anybody else encountered this problem?
Adam
Old 01-17-2011, 11:02 AM

yea i have that problem to if anyones got this i like to no to
Old 01-17-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You may need to slightly turn your steering wheel as you turn the key. A hard lock of the steering wheel in either direction can cause problems. If your theft deterrent system went bas the vehicle would just not start. it would not make the key not turn.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:40 AM

yeah... if you have tried everything... then it is most likely the ignition switch... has happened to me on two vehicles before.

If after a few days it works fine, you are still going to want to get it replaced, for it will lockup again and leave you stranded somewhere.

Really sucks if it happens to you in your garage, cause you cant put the vehicle in neutral and the tow truck cant get to it
Old 01-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Keys wear after awhile. Take a good look at the key itself. If the key has rounded edges on any of the "teeth", there's a good chance the key is not operating the tumblers inside of the ignition cylinder itself.

This is why it's good to have two keys at all times. When one gets worn, you have a replacement. I always have three, as our Ford requires two "good" keys to make a spare.

If you only have the one key, then it's off to a Ford dealer or a good locksmith with equipment to program a second key. More expensive then doing it yourself, but doing it yourself requires two working keys. Your owners manual has the proceedure to program a third key (and forth, fifth).
If you don't have an owners manual, go here and download a PDF copy for free:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp
Old 01-20-2011, 01:44 PM

well guys, i guess i have a little egg on my face, had it to the dealership today prepared to fork over the dough for a new ignition switch and it turns out the thing was just super dirty, apparently the guy who had it before me (I got it in October) never cleaned out the dirt in it so it started to bind up. thanks for the suggestions and helpful info though!

Quick Reply: Key not turning