Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

kenne bell super charger 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 01:52 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default kenne bell super charger 5.4

im looking to super charge my 08 5.4. i chose this route over turbo becasue off roading i dont feel like having the turbo lag them having them kick sending me over something that could hurt the truck. i need some info does kenne bell still sell a kit for this truck i couldnt find one unless it was for a lighting and i was told the lighting was a 2v where i have a 3v. when i do sc it what interneals would i have to replace for boosts over 12psi is it just rods pistons, and the crank (reading through the threads 12psi seems to be the hightest you can safely go) im looking into other brands such as whipple maybe even the rouche but would really like the kenne bell if possible. btw whats the tranny rated for?
Old 09-11-2012, 06:05 AM

Received 149 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by I just don't know
im looking to super charge my 08 5.4. i chose this route over turbo becasue off roading i dont feel like having the turbo lag them having them kick sending me over something that could hurt the truck. i need some info does kenne bell still sell a kit for this truck i couldnt find one unless it was for a lighting and i was told the lighting was a 2v where i have a 3v. when i do sc it what interneals would i have to replace for boosts over 12psi is it just rods pistons, and the crank (reading through the threads 12psi seems to be the hightest you can safely go) im looking into other brands such as whipple maybe even the rouche but would really like the kenne bell if possible. btw whats the tranny rated for?
Blown ford is the guy to ask. Look him up.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:27 AM
12 Second Truck

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts

Whipple is the way to go. Nothing special about Kenny Bell's twin screw verses Whipples. Kenne Bell did not make a blower for the 5.4 3v. The trans with proper tunning can handle the power generally produced by 12psi as can the motor. If you want to run more then that you will need forged internals, better valves, a fuel system, upgraded driveshaft, built trans, upgraded cooling system, etc etc. Thats gonna run you around $20-25K. Thats why most folks stop modding at 10 or 11 psi. It gets real expensive real quick. For what it's worth 9-10psi on the Whipple puts folks in the 420rwhp range. I'm running 13psi and making right at 500rwhp.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

I've been looking at the blowers as well, I am set on whipple at 10psi. New vs. used is what I am debating now. I lean more towards new knowing what I am getting.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:15 PM
12 Second Truck

I purchased my Whipple used on ebay 3 years ago for $3400 shipped. It is now 5 years old. No complaints. Considering these things have an oil change schedule of 100K there's not a lot that can happen to them. Installed it had a tune built to get it safely to the dyno. Used the money I saved to get dyno tuning, fuel injectors, and LT headers.

I sent mine off to Stiegemeier last Novemeber. I thought I heard a sound coming from it like a bad bearing. Turns out it was my heater hose and the little plastic piece inside it lol. They called and said my blower was fine but the front seal was starting to leak. I had them replace the front bearings, oil seal, new oil fill cap, site glass, and port it. $600 and I have one awesome blower inside and out. I also used this time to port my intake to match the new 80mm throttle body, polish my fuel rails and paint and clear coat everything.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:11 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown Ford
Whipple is the way to go. Nothing special about Kenny Bell's twin screw verses Whipples. Kenne Bell did not make a blower for the 5.4 3v. The trans with proper tunning can handle the power generally produced by 12psi as can the motor. If you want to run more then that you will need forged internals, better valves, a fuel system, upgraded driveshaft, built trans, upgraded cooling system, etc etc. Thats gonna run you around $20-25K. Thats why most folks stop modding at 10 or 11 psi. It gets real expensive real quick. For what it's worth 9-10psi on the Whipple puts folks in the 420rwhp range. I'm running 13psi and making right at 500rwhp.
did you do anything forged? i heard the 08 had a forged crank any truth?
Old 09-11-2012, 02:25 PM
12 Second Truck

Never broken a seal on the motor. She's bone stock. And yes the 5.4 3V did use the forged crank from the Lightning and the rods are the same cheesy ones used in the Lightning (powered-metal they don't bend they snap!! Usually during a 3-4 shift at WOT. Seen this happen to many Lightnings. Easily controlled in the tune.) The pistions are Hypereutectic verses the forged ones used in the Lightning motor. Considering the cheap forged material used for the Lightning piston the Hypereutectic piston is just as good. Both motors bottom end can handle about 450-500rwhp with the proper tune and setup. This is what I have done. And when she blows I will install a built motor and push for 600+rwhp. I already have the fuel system with twin 255lph pumps, built trans/converter, and driveshaft. Just need the forged internals and better valves.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

How much PSI before the fuel system needs to be upgraded?
Old 09-11-2012, 03:25 PM
12 Second Truck

You can a run 9-10psi on the stock pump however by this point you are running the hell out of the fuel pump. Really a BAP (boost a pump) should be added at this point. I upgraded to a twin 255lph set up from Troyer Performance and Fore Precision when I went to 10psi. It has a slot open for a third pump and can support 1000hp. Sucks they are not avaliable anymore. But the BAP will do fine.
The following users liked this post:
scobar (09-11-2012)

Quick Reply: kenne bell super charger 5.4