Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Just wired up my Towing Mirrors... But

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just wired up my Towing Mirrors... But

Before I post the How-To Thread, I wanted to see what you guys thought. After all my wiring and tapping, here are my results. My puddle lamps turn on both when unlocking the truck, and w/ putting the vehicle in Reverse (this was done to help aid in parking @ night & seeing curbs, etc). My signals all work, both as hazards & signals. However, they also come on when I hit the brakes, and when I am in reverse as well (just noticed that one parking).

My question is: Does anyone else care about having the LED Turn Signals function ALSO as brake lights? I personally don't (& I dont wanna go splicing my wiring bundle again either), but I wasnt gonna waste my time w/ the How-To thread w/ Pics if no one else was going to use it. Thanks!
Old 04-26-2010, 09:04 AM
@jverderber1

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I think if the turn signal LEDs were red that it would be pretty cool but I could also see how it could be kind of annoying.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:06 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 475 Likes on 375 Posts

I would be more interested in making them work the way they do, or are supposed to do from a stock point of view.

I have the 2005 Ford schematics, so if I can be of any help, let me know. I can provide the color code wiring to the mirrors, along with their description.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Bucko
I would be more interested in making them work the way they do, or are supposed to do from a stock point of view.

I have the 2005 Ford schematics, so if I can be of any help, let me know. I can provide the color code wiring to the mirrors, along with their description.
I have a Haynes and tapped into the wires based on the Wiring Schematic (tapping into the turn signal portion and not the headlamp assembly). I would like them to work normally too, the signal portion that is. I wired the puddle lamps specifically for that reason but did not intend to get the brake aspect out of the signals.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 475 Likes on 375 Posts

I'll check my Ford Schematic book. I know there's a seperate turn signal lead and brake light lead.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bucko
I'll check my Ford Schematic book. I know there's a seperate turn signal lead and brake light lead.
You are correct. I tapped into the Black w/ Pink stripe for the Reverse. I tapped into a White w/ Blue stripe for the passenger side brake light, and green w/ orange line for the driver side. all of these are from the schematic out of my Haynes Tear Down manual.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:09 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

How bright are they when you hit the brakes? I'd be interested in seeing a video of them in action
Old 04-26-2010, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
How bright are they when you hit the brakes? I'd be interested in seeing a video of them in action
They are as bright as the normal LED for signals. It doesnt get brighter like the brakes do. Only has one output level. And I realized they dont come on just in Reverse as I thought. I was tappin the brakes as I parked this morning is what caused me to think the Rev engaged them as well. Just brakes, and then standard signal/hazard. I'll try to get a video of them tonight, when its dark, so you can see everything.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:54 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

That actually sounds kinda neat. I might "accidentally" wire into those when I hook my signals up also.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:08 PM

i'm actually used to them lighting up on tappin the brakes. I was glancin over whenever i tapped them yesterday, and somewhat this mornin. but didnt even notice them at lunch. i did notice cars paid more attention/ were more observant of me since these lit up during rush hour this morning. ok, guess i'll make the How-To this evening, full of pics, and maybe a video (if i can find someone to tape while I go through the paces). Thanks for everyones inputs.

Quick Reply: Just wired up my Towing Mirrors... But