Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

IWE or Vacuum Line issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IWE or Vacuum Line issue?

Brothers!!!,

Where I live it gets pretty cold. I washed my truck the other day and the next morning it was minus 30 degrees celsius.

Long story short, I tried to engage the 4X4 (Hi range) and had some difficulty. It kinda made a little bit of a grinding noise and then nothing.

Later that day, upon closer inspection, I discovered that the vacuum line for the IWE on the drivers side had come off. Of course I put it back on, but STILL I have no 4X4.

The light comes on, the transfer case seems fine, but I am stuck in 2 wheel drive.

Do y'all figure its an IWE issue or Vacuum line issue? My thinking is that IWE's seem to fail when there is a LACK of vacuum pressure - and when they fail, they fail INTO 4X4 right?

I have no grinding sounds at all. On top of that, a quick check with a vacuum gauge tells me that I have 15 inches of hg vacuum in 2WD in both hubs and 10 - 12 inches of hg vacuum in 4X4.

It seems to me that the IWE's may not releasing the vacuum and that that is why I am stuck in 2WD.

Is this possible?

Any input is greatly appreciated, Thanks!
Old 02-09-2011, 01:40 AM
Formerly "ZCHPRO"

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

your IWE sounds like its fine but like you said it should fail into 4x4
the tsb that was released about the failing IWE solenoids stated that the 4x4 light doesn't come on when you switch so from what you're saying it sounds like it isn't the IWE solenoid
Old 02-09-2011, 05:51 AM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

Did you check that each of the IWEs and their lines were holding vacuum, or just the lines? The IWEs can leak internally too.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:04 AM

If the vacuum line was off then both IWE actuator should be locked in (due to the vacuum leak). You can verify the actuators are locked by jacking each side and seeing if the CV shaft spins when you spin each wheel (the truck must be running when you do this and in 2wd). If the CV shaft spins then the IWE actuator is stuck engaged. You said you have good vacuum at each wheel so I would say if the CV shaft spins you have a bad actuator. Now, if both IWE actuators are engaged and you switch to 4 hi and still have no 4wd, I'd say you have another problem with the transfer case not engaging. I know some fords had issues with the transfer case motors freezing up. Hope this helps.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:13 AM
08 F150 LIMITED

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Years back I had a Explorer and it wouldn't engage into 4 wheel drive and I found out the transfer case motor wasn't working so I called the dealer and talked with a Tech about it, he told me to crawl under the vehicle and take a hammer and hit the transfer case motor and try the 4x4 switch and see if it works and it did......Number one mechinaic's tool a Hammer! Man was that a lot cheaper then replacing that motor.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:11 PM

Anyone know what happened with this. Mine is doing same thing, but I can hear the transfer case going in and out of 4x4, hubs just not locking in.

Quick Reply: IWE or Vacuum Line issue?