Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

And it's back........

Old 03-10-2018, 09:25 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default And it's back........

Soon after I bought my truck, I had some issues that popped up...first, the plugs...then the passenger VCT...then the passenger side rockers and cam.....etc....Had all of that work done, and the truck ran flawless..(the previous owner had already replaced the cam phasors/timing chain)...until recently. After reaching operating temp, it has started to occasionally tick/knock...throwing a code for the cam position sensor bank 2.......Going to replace the drivers side VCT, first part of next week, and after that we are going to replace the oil pump....I've been trying to do a lot of reading on this whole VCT system, and it seems that it's all based off of oil pressure....Melling just released some new High Volume pumps towards the end of last year for the 3V 5.4...supposedly 20% more pressure over a stock pump...(M340HV)..They also say that the stock pumps have an aluminum backing plate, that tends to flex allowing oil to seep out..the new pump has a cast backing plate that fixes that issue as well.....I've also noticed occasionally on cold start ups, that it ticks briefly on the passenger side for a second or two until the oil is forced over.....Hopefully the new pump will cure a lot of issues that are caused by the low pressures from a worn stock pump...................

Last edited by getwithit; 03-10-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:30 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Are you sure the tick on the passenger side at start up is not the exhaust manifold leaking like mine.. goes away after choke drops off.
The following users liked this post:
getwithit (03-12-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
Are you sure the tick on the passenger side at start up is not the exhaust manifold leaking like mine.. goes away after choke drops off.
No, it's the valvetrain...it only lasts for not even a few seconds.....does it every once in a while on cold and every so often, a warm startup as well...just not as often..
Old 03-11-2018, 03:56 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Gotcha
Old 03-11-2018, 08:02 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 626 Likes on 563 Posts

Default If the tensioner gasket blown more volume won't fix it

Think about using the metal ratcheting tensioners with no gasket to blow out . It also won't clear out dirt clogs . Plus the lashs are still worn and sticking or worse . Not to mention rollers / I had no choice my engine threw one roller to the side . Point is there is not one simple fix ,wish there was . Lots of ticks come from lashs and rollers . Yes I like the 340hv if I go back in or get a reman . Hopefully I can make it near 300k.
getwithit (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 07:43 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

If you're going to pull the front cover to replace the oil pump I would make sure that the previous owner used OEM cam phasers and metal tensioners. While you're in there you want to make sure everything is done right.
getwithit (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by BadFish523
If you're going to pull the front cover to replace the oil pump I would make sure that the previous owner used OEM cam phasers and metal tensioners. While you're in there you want to make sure everything is done right.
Yeah, they are going to crack into it tomorrow, to let me know for sure what is going on....Should have the HV Oil Pump this week......When they worked on the truck the last time, they said that the phasers looked pretty new, but that doesn't always mean anything..lol...If they do need replaced, I'll be sure to tell them "no cheap crap"....I'd rather pay now....than pay later...LOL..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: And it's back........