Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Input Needed - Off Road Light Related

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 02:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input Needed - Off Road Light Related

Hey all, so about a year ago I've started towing various trailers for various reasons. Quite conveniently I've had to either load or unload these trailers at night in the middle of the country with no light but the moon. Therefore, I put some lights on the back bumper and they have been working pretty well for me: pic 1

But recently I've been using this trailer a lot: pic 2

The problem here is the metal standing vertical on the front of the trailer effectively blocks all my light. I absolutely hate strapping things down while trying to hold a flashlight. So I decided to try this: pic 3

Yes, it's a cheap driving light with a 95lb pull magnet from Ace. I want to toss two of these on the roof by the cargo light facing backwards so I have light overlooking the front of the trailer. I went with this magnet idea so I can put it on and take it off easily whenever I need it.

Here is where I need some input: Obviously the magnet would scratch the **** out of the paint. I would like to glue some felt or some type of cloth to the bottom of the magnet that is water resistant and not too dense so it won't take too much pulling power from the magnet. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction in terms of fabric selection! Thank you

I understand that to some this may be a silly question. "Why doesn't he just go to the fabric store and tell them what he's looking for?" Well, because I'd rather hear a fellow F150 owners $.02. Also, a lot of people I've been talking to never heard of sticking magnets on lights and throwing them on a vehicle and were intrigued by the idea. I hope this gives some ideas for others also
Attached Thumbnails Input Needed - Off Road Light Related-2012-07-10_16-19-55_891.jpg   Input Needed - Off Road Light Related-2012-05-23_17-45-37_158.jpg   Input Needed - Off Road Light Related-2012-07-29_16-48-53_475.jpg  

Last edited by BSB Fx4; 08-05-2012 at 03:29 AM. Reason: pictures didn't upload correctly
Old 08-05-2012, 04:05 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Damn looks like a lot of weight for that trailer by the way It's bending lol and you could make a light holder of the rear stake pockets I've seen that before and when you are done just pull them out and good to go
Old 08-05-2012, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.golight.com/
Old 08-05-2012, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ford lover 07
Damn looks like a lot of weight for that trailer by the way It's bending lol and you could make a light holder of the rear stake pockets I've seen that before and when you are done just pull them out and good to go
Haha yea I put the golf cart on, took a pic, noticed the flexing, and took everything off to move it up front. I haven't even thought about the stake pockets that seems like a great idea, but unfortunately ford decided to not put any pop out caps for the stake pockets on the short beds
Old 08-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Platinum Man Card

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BSB Fx4
Haha yea I put the golf cart on, took a pic, noticed the flexing, and took everything off to move it up front. I haven't even thought about the stake pockets that seems like a great idea, but unfortunately ford decided to not put any pop out caps for the stake pockets on the short beds

there still there. just have to cut out the plastic yourself. dremel works great for it.

Quick Reply: Input Needed - Off Road Light Related