Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

i may be screwed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 11:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default i may be screwed!

Just bought a '04 5.4l f150 lariat, just read the spark plug articles, just realized mine has 150,000 miles on it. Oh ****!
Is there a way to tell if the plugs were already broken free and anti-seize applied?
Originally I was looking for a suggestions on the best plugs to use, now I'm afraid to tackle this job. What I did notice is the plugs look very different than others I've always used. I seen denso makes 1 piece iridium plugs for under 9 bucks a piece but they don't look the same? Is that ok? Or do they need to have the ground strap in a complete loop?
I noticed my truck was only getting 14mpg Hwy and figured it needed a tune up cause it is listed as 18 Hwy, and I usually meet or exceed the stickers.
Any advice would be awesome guys, thanks.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the only way to tell is to take off the plug wires and test it with a ratchet and socket, truthfully. unless your absolutley positive on what your doing its always best to use the spark plugs the manufacturer reccomends for your specific vehicle, if not you can damage the pistons.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:06 AM
Certified Ford Technician

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just make sure its been sitting for 24 hours, and be very, very patient. worst case you can call your local snap-on guy and the tune-up will cost you an extra $150 and a few hours. i've done so many, i've got it down to 3hrs max and that was 7 broken. but the guy drove it 3hrs to the dealer i work for and then waited for it
Old 11-26-2011, 12:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The factory plugs have a dot of paint on the top of them. Sometimes its easy to see sometimes it isn't due to corrosion.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:32 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

the more i read on this site the more i think i didn't make a smart purchase, my engine is tapping and i did report it to the dealership but their techs told me it was just something the 5.4L engines do, silly me i believed him. Well I did wind up with a 30 day 1000mile warranty, they do have to fix my sunroof yet the track is busted. I'll have to go in bitching I guess about the engine tap, no codes are being thrown from what I'm being told too.
wow just to much to take in, i gotta sleep on this

Last edited by ellis4pa; 11-26-2011 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:23 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

The tapping can just be a fouled plug. Unfortunately, even if the plugs were replaced and anti seize was used, they can still break.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:19 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ellis4pa
the more i read on this site the more i think i didn't make a smart purchase, my engine is tapping and i did report it to the dealership but their techs told me it was just something the 5.4L engines do, silly me i believed him. Well I did wind up with a 30 day 1000mile warranty, they do have to fix my sunroof yet the track is busted. I'll have to go in bitching I guess about the engine tap, no codes are being thrown from what I'm being told too.
wow just to much to take in, i gotta sleep on this
Define "tapping".....I have an 05 with the 5.4 and when it is cold, you hear the injectors chattering quite clearly.....annoying, but typical. Mine, once warmed up, does have a quiet diesel-like sound to it, which is the cam phasers.....but I do not have 1500$ right now to fix it. Then, yes there is more.....you have the lash adjusters, which will sometimes knock lightly. In short, these engines rattle and clank like a can full of rocks, yet it is supposedly "normal"......Only had mine about 2 months, and I DON'T plan on keeping it long term, nor to buy another one. First, and last, f150.

ps.....chevys are even worse.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the plug was fouled, it would be mis-firing and the CEL would be flashing.

So let's rule that out.

Ticking in these engines are normal. It has been a complaint since day 1. There are Ford produced videos out there for their dealership techs so they know what is normal and what is not.

As for the plugs, the first thing I want to point out is NEVER EVER EVER try to take the plugs out on a stone cold engine.

If you follow the Ford TSB, or the impact gun method, both have one thing in common, and that the engine has to be warm, which is why you only do 2 or 3 at a time, so you can restart the engine and get the temp back up.

The plugs you want to use are the upgraded Motorcraft ones.

If you are in doubt about the plugs being changed already, hand the truck off to someone who has done it before. Someone who has the extractor kit in their tool box ready to use.

If you screw it up you will be at a minimum using the extractor, and at most you will be pulling the head or heads.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Converted

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by painthorseowner
Define "tapping".....I have an 05 with the 5.4 and when it is cold, you hear the injectors chattering quite clearly.....annoying, but typical. Mine, once warmed up, does have a quiet diesel-like sound to it, which is the cam phasers.....but I do not have 1500$ right now to fix it. Then, yes there is more.....you have the lash adjusters, which will sometimes knock lightly. In short, these engines rattle and clank like a can full of rocks, yet it is supposedly "normal"......Only had mine about 2 months, and I DON'T plan on keeping it long term, nor to buy another one. First, and last, f150.

ps.....chevys are even worse.
Sorry to hear that!!!!
Old 11-26-2011, 12:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not as bad as you think. The tapping or knocking is probably the phasers and it won't really hurt anything if you choose not to fix them. I understand why your upset though because I can only admire my truck when its turned off and not chattering.

Quick Reply: i may be screwed!