Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

I got a shake, sputter and knock

Old 05-28-2010, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got a shake, sputter and knock

Hi there, I own a 2005 F150 with the 5.4 V8, at 51,000 miles. I have a few questions some things going on. I use the truck for light duty tasks it is an automatic, gas engine with AC.

1. Couple of years ago I noticed that the truck was down a quart of oil every 1000 miles, I took it to the dealer and they put dye in the oil, no leaks were found and the truck still makes oil vanish. Could this be normal?

2. last year it started sputtering, shaking and failed to start on the first try with engine hot or cold, the trouble is intermitant so I chalked it up to bad fuel, but on some cold starts I swear I see white puffing out the tail pipe, could it be a bad cold start injector?

3. Few months ago i noticed the truck will shake and idle ruff when my tires are up to a parking lot bumper, this happens in gear and park. Broken motor mount?

4. Few months ago an engine noise started, it sounds just like a lifter tick. I thought that maybe it was cheep gas, so I went on a 93 octane diet for a while but no change. I do notice that the noise seems louder after the engine warms up. I can hear this noise while in the cab with the windows up. Time for a tune up? Dead plug?

5. Some times the truck will just run ruff at a red light, it is like you can feel it shake thru a bad part and then run fine and then start shaking to a build up then back down.

The truck runs and shifts fine except for these issues. I have done regular oil changes and advised matinance from the local ford dealer. it passed smog tests here in IL last winter.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Ron
Old 05-28-2010, 10:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well your tick in the engine is more than llikly bad camphasers. You can search them on this site and get a lot of info on them. Have you checked for codes?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I got a shake, sputter and knock