Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Hub assembly question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 06:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hub assembly question.

I had a bad hub on my drive side front. When i took off the hub there was alot of moisture and all the metal was orange from light surface rust. Question is shouldnt that be sealed by the o-ring around the hub housing?

I added alot more grease inside before i put on the new hub
Attached Thumbnails Hub assembly question.-image-3256393441.jpg   Hub assembly question.-image-343083352.jpg  
Old 01-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Unfortunately there is no seal between the hub and steering knuckle. Apply a very thin film of wheel bearing grease to the hub mounting surface. You should probably take it apart from the other side too which means removing the IWE and half shaft from the knuckle. Apply a good coat of grease to all the visible parts and a light coat to the seal on the IWE that compresses against the knuckle when you bolt it in place. That's the best you can do to keep water out.

EDIT: Looking at your first picture, I think I spot a potential problem with your IWE. Looking at about the 10 - 11 o'clock position, is it cracked?

Last edited by VTX1800N1; 01-07-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VTX1800N1
Unfortunately there is no seal between the hub and steering knuckle. Apply a very thin film of wheel bearing grease to the hub mounting surface. You should probably take it apart from the other side too which means removing the IWE and half shaft from the knuckle. Apply a good coat of grease to all the visible parts and a light coat to the seal on the IWE that compresses against the knuckle when you bolt it in place. That's the best you can do to keep water out.

EDIT: Looking at your first picture, I think I spot a potential problem with your IWE. Looking at about the 10 - 11 o'clock position, is it cracked?
No i checked the entire inside for cracks and wear. It just looks like that bc of the old grease.

Quick Reply: Hub assembly question.