Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

How to clean your engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 08:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to clean your engine

what is the best and safest way to clean your engine
Old 05-04-2017, 08:16 PM

Received 216 Likes on 170 Posts

Your engine? Internally? Engine Bay?
Old 05-04-2017, 08:43 PM

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Car wash. I wash my engine with the power washer regularly without issues. I just dont power shoot the electrical items.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:53 PM
Gold Member

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephie
what is the best and safest way to clean your engine
Check out page 3 of this thread. Even though it started as an AC thread, good info on engine bay cleaning starting on the third page:

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/c-not-w...380882/index3/

Or just ping @daanbc05 he could help
The following users liked this post:
daanbc05 (05-05-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 09:16 PM

Default How to clean your engine

Yeah, the engine "bay", I guess. But I want to make the engine (in the "bay") look nice. Hence: How do you best clean your engine?

Spraying the whole thing at the carwash seems kinda dangerous. When I bought my 2007 used, I had it checked out by a mechanic. She said I needed two "plug coils". When I spoke to the salesman about it he said it probably happened when they washed the engine to make it look good.

I want my engine and my "engine bay" to look good. But I don't want to damage my engine. I also don't want to do this at the carwash. I want to do it at home.

Thanks

Last edited by Stephie; 05-04-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:35 PM

Received 3,056 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephie
Yeah, the engine "bay", I guess. But I want to make the engine (in the "bay") look nice. Hence: How do you best clean your engine?

Spraying the whole thing at the carwash seems kinda dangerous. When I bought my 2007 used, I had it checked out by a mechanic. She said I needed two "plugs". When I spoke to the salesman about it he said it probably happened when they washed the engine to make it look good.

I want my engine and my "engine bay" to look good. But I don't want to damage my engine. I also don't want to do this at the carwash. I want to do it at home.

Thanks
Then do it all by hand. First wipe everything down with a degreaser and then use a dressing.

You can get it to look just as good.

I'd personally never spray mine with a pressure washer.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:24 PM

Thanks 2008 XL.

I will give it a try. I do have a low pressure water hose available and I can cover electrical stuff. I'll try without water first. There's a lot of junk that I should be able to get at with my air hose.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:37 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Default Make sure you dry out plug wells

Once you get moisture down in there it stays along time due to boots trapping it . Misfires from contaminated boots and porcelains . Probably have to pull coils and boots use air gun to dry out . Redo dielectric grease after cleaning /drying boots .
Old 05-05-2017, 09:13 AM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

I did mine recently at a car wash. I didn't cover anything. I hit it first with a can of engine brite, then used the de greaser from the car wash, then hit it with a high pressure rinse. The key is to not stay in an area for more than a moment. I also stood about 4-5 feet back from the bay so that the water wouldn't hit it as hard. I guess the "spot free rinse" would work too at a closer distance. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Engine harnesses and connectors are weather sealed for the most part, just don't flood the engine and you'll be fine.

EDIT:: I take that back, maybe I did use the low pressure "spot free"....I honestly cant remember. Point being, a little water wont hurt anything. I've used the high pressure many many times on atv's, cars, and bikes with zero issues.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:49 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I placed two thick towels over the intake and valve covers, placed a publix bag over the alt. and battery and PCM. Then I sprayed "TOTALLY AWESOME" from the dollar store all over. Even did the under hood of the truck. Was careful not to get any overspray on the fenders. Just engine bay. Let it soak then sprayed a second time over the first. Then used a water hose and lightly washed down the whole engine compartment. Then took towels and baggies off and cleaned those parts by hand. After all is done, I use the liquid tire shine and spray the whole compartment, then wipe away and clean. I use the tire shine on all the exterior black plastic/rubber too! If you spray it every time you clean the truck, the plastic eventually soaks it all in and last a long while before coming dry and getting that faded look.

Quick Reply: How to clean your engine