Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

hmmmmm....

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 11:08 PM
poopin.....on this thread

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Default hmmmmm....

i know this question probably belongs in the car audio section but i wanted to put it here to get more hits. its a simple question. Do you need any type of a converter other than a basic harness you can but for like $10 at walmart to retain door chimes/seatbelt chimes? I only ask because my 04 Trailblazer Had before this had to have this when i replaced my HU w/ aftermarket. do you need this w/ an 04 screw or is that simply a GM thing?
Old 09-26-2010, 11:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a gm thing as far as I know, but I got out of the pro car audio game 2 years ago.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:34 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

i bought my plug kit for like 15bucks
Old 09-27-2010, 07:41 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 475 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbinsracin
i know this question probably belongs in the car audio section but i wanted to put it here to get more hits. its a simple question. Do you need any type of a converter other than a basic harness you can but for like $10 at walmart to retain door chimes/seatbelt chimes? I only ask because my 04 Trailblazer Had before this had to have this when i replaced my HU w/ aftermarket. do you need this w/ an 04 screw or is that simply a GM thing?
Huh? The radio should have nothing to do with the seat beat chime or door open chime, with or without an aftermarket radio. The radio does not provide the chimes, so I see no reason to think about this when changing the radio.

I do however agree with using a plug type harness to connect to an aftermarket radio. I never liked the idea of cutting the old factory harness apart to install another radio.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
Huh? The radio should have nothing to do with the seat beat chime or door open chime, with or without an aftermarket radio. The radio does not provide the chimes, so I see no reason to think about this when changing the radio.

I do however agree with using a plug type harness to connect to an aftermarket radio. I never liked the idea of cutting the old factory harness apart to install another radio.
Actually when changing out the stock HU in newer Grand Am's, you have to buy a $100 harness to retain the anti theft system.

But getting back to the topic, no you will not need to buy a harness to install an aftermarket HU. But it is highly recommended.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:16 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 475 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Fink
Actually when changing out the stock HU in newer Grand Am's, you have to buy a $100 harness to retain the anti theft system.

But getting back to the topic, no you will not need to buy a harness to install an aftermarket HU. But it is highly recommended.
Grand AM? We're on the F150 2004 to 2008 forum.

Just busting your chops. No worries. I 100% agree with you on the recommendation of a harness; never chop up a factory harness to install an aftermarket HU. You can easily reinstall the factory setup when you sell the truck.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get the wiring harness adapter for the stock wiring. It is not required by any means, but will make your life a whole lot easier.

You don't need any adapters for the door chimes like Bucko said, or the anti-theft.