Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

HIDS or LED headlights+fogs

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HIDS or LED headlights+fogs

Let's see some comparison of HID VS. LED headlights. What do you like about each? What's better? Thinking of getting one of the 2 for headlights and fogs. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2015, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From experience with my other truck I would do HID headlights then get LED fog lights to match. My HID fogs got water and mud on them during duck season and they quit working after the first weekend.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:54 PM
Chive So Hard

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

Never do an HID in a stock housing. If you want to retain your stock housing, go LED.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KCCOFox
Never do an HID in a stock housing. If you want to retain your stock housing, go LED.
I disagree with this statement as ive put hid conversion in every single truck ive owned since the conversions came out, my only complaint is the reliability of them, . i do agree with the led part. I now have changed from hid to led in my current truck and love it, but ive only had them in for a couple months, cant vouch for being reliable yet. They are bright and have a very clean direct, maybe even more spot light pattern as to where the hid's were more like a flood pattern. I get flashed alot less from oncoming now than i did with my hid. Another thing to look at, a quality hid kit is 40 bucks as to where there are cheaper led conversions, i paid 120 shipped to my door for this kit. They seem very solid, have nice connectors, built in mini cooling fans on the bulb housings and plug n play.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:36 PM

Reason I ask is I have a dealer for GTR lighting in my town. He did the HIDS in my 99" and I loved them spent quite a bit on them but they have a lifetime warranty. For I believe they were 6k's I spent 200 just in the headlights and didn't get fogs done. I had Harley davidson/lightning housings in it and I loved it. Where did you find your LED conversion at?
Old 03-03-2015, 10:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by B52fighter
Reason I ask is I have a dealer for GTR lighting in my town. He did the HIDS in my 99" and I loved them spent quite a bit on them but they have a lifetime warranty. For I believe they were 6k's I spent 200 just in the headlights and didn't get fogs done. I had Harley davidson/lightning housings in it and I loved it. Where did you find your LED conversion at?
Amazon
Old 03-03-2015, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can we see a picture?
Old 03-04-2015, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lanceo6
Can we see a picture?
I second that
Old 03-04-2015, 05:08 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by jake_85
I disagree with this statement as ive put hid conversion in every single truck ive owned since the conversions came out, my only complaint is the reliability of them, . i do agree with the led part. I now have changed from hid to led in my current truck and love it, but ive only had them in for a couple months, cant vouch for being reliable yet. They are bright and have a very clean direct, maybe even more spot light pattern as to where the hid's were more like a flood pattern. I get flashed alot less from oncoming now than i did with my hid. Another thing to look at, a quality hid kit is 40 bucks as to where there are cheaper led conversions, i paid 120 shipped to my door for this kit. They seem very solid, have nice connectors, built in mini cooling fans on the bulb housings and plug n play.
The strong reason it is said to not put HID's in a stock (non projection type housing) is due to the splatter of light you get when you do this.

Your words: "I get flashed alot less from oncoming now than i did with my hid"

The reason you got flashed was because your HID's, installed in a non projection housing, blinds other drivers you share the road with. While you may think you got a whole lot of light with them, you really did not get that light going very far ahead, but rather it was splattered wide and shallow. HID's are designed for projection type housings, to get the high intensity light focused in a beam out. The stock housings do not do this.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:15 AM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

^ Couldn't have said it better myself.

Quick Reply: HIDS or LED headlights+fogs