Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Hey just bought an 04 F150 5.4 super cab

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey just bought an 04 F150 5.4 super cab

Hey all been lurking for a couple days. We just bought an 04. We bought it to tow our travel trailer to save our 2017 Pathfinder Platinum the pain.
Picked it up for 5grand taxes in saftied. Has 189000 kms on it. Cam with a matching leer cap and a matching hard toneau cover.
Some of the extras i spotted while checking it over were k&, cold air intake an engine managment system. Has the heavy duty tow hitch and electric brake controller. Also has a huge secondary aftermarket tranny cooler.
Guy who owned it before us owned a body shop and rwally took care of this truck. Couldnt find any rust underneath or on any body panels.
I see there are a couple things to watch for plugs seem to be a big one and timing tensioners. So i called the seller to ask if he can do the plugs on it while getting safety done. We havent handed over any cash yet so if the plugs break and screw the heads we are free and clear. And i checked vin tensioners were done at dealer 2 years ago. If everything goes right we pick it up tues. Oh its a rwd.
I just felt our trailer was too much for the pathfinder and its cvt tranny. It is rated for 6000lbs and our trailer comes in at 4300. We dont carry much never anything in tanks just full propane bottles.
We have a wdh hitch with anti sway.
Any thoughts. ? Think i did ok?
Old 07-13-2019, 02:40 PM

Oh the EMS is and Edge something has a 5 inch color touch screen and a magnaflow exhaust system. Love the sound wgen I hit the gas on the hwy
Old 07-14-2019, 10:00 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Sounds decent to me. Good for you on checking the plugs and timing tensioners. Might drop the spare one day and check the Fuel Pump Driver Module just for gee whizzes... They’re known for corroding prematurely because of the metal composition btw the module and frame. Sounds like whoever had it before had it set up to tow. Make sure the trans fluid looks good and doesn’t smell burnt.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by nrivera04
Sounds decent to me. Good for you on checking the plugs and timing tensioners. Might drop the spare one day and check the Fuel Pump Driver Module just for gee whizzes... They’re known for corroding prematurely because of the metal composition btw the module and frame. Sounds like whoever had it before had it set up to tow. Make sure the trans fluid looks good and doesn’t smell burnt.
Ok thanks for the tip. I will check into that as soon as i pick it up on tues. What a day just get back from 2 weeks camping back the trailer then went got boat back it in. And as im unhooking boat i hear CRACK! CRACK! I look up in time to see the rock come over the fence from the welfare house and hit our brand new trailer right on the big picture window. I friggen lost it. Told the little bastards to send their parents over before i call the police. Parents just yelled over the fence is there any damage. I said im still looking but when i find the dents ill send you the bill. She says how do you know it was my kid. I said would you like to come and look at the video from our outdoor cameras. Uhhh no thats ok. Then i hear her given the kids **** for the next 20 mins.
Ugh cant wait till we move. Im gonna rent this place to the worst of the worst to pay these jerks back lol.

Quick Reply: Hey just bought an 04 F150 5.4 super cab