Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Help! 2005 f150 5.4 3v wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 2005 f150 5.4 3v wont start.

The other day i got stuck in a ditch while attempting to turn around. During the process of trying to get out my truck shut off and now will not turn over. It seems as if its the starter. But why would it just shut off? Ive pulled it home and put it on trickle charge all night and still nothing the next morning. What are a list of things i can try to narrow down the problem. I have tried jumping it and sparkling off the starter solenoid. With a flat head but will try aging. I have had no previous problems with it starting. However it has shut off befor at a toll booth during a heavy haul of a camper. Please help! Oh also when it died i was in 4hi and now when turning ignition and shifting it has alot of play and wont really engage a gear though i pulled it home with it in neutral but it wasnt locked in
Old 12-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Measure voltage at the battery, engine off. Do any of your electrical accessories work- lights, radio, etc? It could be lots of things. Hopefully you didn't overheat the engine enough to cause internal damage.

Many years ago I was driving a car down the interstate when suddenly the engine lost almost all power. Barely got off on a ramp and it died completely. Nothing worked. Turned out the batter developed an internal short while I was driving. Replaced the battery and the car was fine.

Last edited by VTX1800N1; 12-23-2012 at 10:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
christopher.e.harper (12-24-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 10:43 AM

When we went back to pick it up the batter was showing charged however while pulling it home i turned the hazzard lights on and soon after the lights webt dim and instrument light started flashing with the hazzards and by the time i got home about 10u miles there wasnt enough charge to lock the doors. I dont know if its from repeated attempts to start it. The battery light has been on since july. I could not solve the problem. Would jumping it turn the starter over?
Old 12-23-2012, 10:45 AM

The Accessories are working after charging. And after it died the temp on the dash was still showing normal
Old 12-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Sheep Dog

Is take the battery to an auto parts store and have them test it.
The following users liked this post:
christopher.e.harper (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 02:19 AM

I am going to try another battery first thing tomorrow. Im hoping thats it. I checked the starter solenoid relay as well as the ignition switch fuse they seemed fine. Tryed arcing the starter with a screwdriver aging and nothing. I dont know if its a security feature like i read on a thread or what. I would think if the starter was seized or bad it would still arc if it was getting juice right? Or enough juice rather. The interior lights are still working. If i pull starter after testing battery how can i test the starter? Could i hook a battery charger to it to see if it would engage and spin?
Old 12-24-2012, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fpdm possibly?
Old 12-24-2012, 09:22 AM
Sheep Dog

He's saying it won't even crank. FPDM could be a problem but won't cause that. We have to make sure his battery is good first.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:17 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by christopher.e.harper
I am going to try another battery first thing tomorrow. Im hoping thats it. I checked the starter solenoid relay as well as the ignition switch fuse they seemed fine. Tryed arcing the starter with a screwdriver aging and nothing. I dont know if its a security feature like i read on a thread or what. I would think if the starter was seized or bad it would still arc if it was getting juice right? Or enough juice rather. The interior lights are still working. If i pull starter after testing battery how can i test the starter? Could i hook a battery charger to it to see if it would engage and spin?
Try having someone hold the key forward while you jump out the solenoid on the starter... You could also just try it with the ignition in the run position while you jump it... The battery and all its connections are a good place to start. But if its still not starting or cranking while the battery is good, try swapping the starter relay out with another relay...
Old 12-25-2012, 10:58 AM

I have taken the battery and the starter and both passed inspection. The battery light never dropped below 11 with load. I dont know what it could be. Im going to try the dtr sensor today. Whats the fpdm?

Quick Reply: Help! 2005 f150 5.4 3v wont start.