Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

[GUIDE] - Disable key in ignition chime

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 07:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool [GUIDE] - Disable key in ignition chime

Since so many people have asked (including myself) on how to disable the door chime / alarm, I thought I would check it out and write a guide to help others.

If you're looking for instructions to disable the seat belt chime, instructions can be found here:
https://www.f150forum.com/f4/seat-be...uestion-99263/

Also, I'm not responsible for locked keys in your truck, depression over the loss of the chime or anything else. You probably should disconnect the battery before doing this, though I didn't.

Now, on with the show.

You'll need:
  • 7/32 socket
  • Small shim (I used stiff galvanized wire)
  • Optional - wire cutters (if you don't want the option to undo this)

First, you need to undo the collar around the steering column. On the bottom of the collar there is a small bolt that needs to be undone. I used a deep socket, it's 7/32.

Once removed, pull down on the bottom collar, it should unsnap. You may also want to pull down on the tilt bar to make life easier.

This should now expose some wires on the left hand side, remove the bundle of wires by pressing on the black clip.
[GUIDE] - Disable key in ignition chime-img_20110928_183128.jpg

If you just want to cut the BLACK AND PURPLE wire, do so now, but if you ever want to hook it back up again, continue reading.

Remove the red clip by pressing on the tiny red tabs on the left and right. You'll have to press them in and probably repeat. Mine had 2 grooves and got stuck 1/2 way on its way out. Though it may not be necessary to remove it entirely, I did.

[GUIDE] - Disable key in ignition chime-img_20110928_183504.jpg

Now you'll need to remove the BLACK AND PURPLE wire. You can do this by sliding in something REAL small in the TOP of the black clip (the side the wires come IN on). I used a piece of sturdy galvanized wire.

[GUIDE] - Disable key in ignition chime-img_20110928_184304.jpg

Once you have your wire/knife/whatever in there, pull firmly on the black and purple wire. Mine was in there pretty good, but I didn't have to force it too hard. If it's not giving at all, try putting something else in the top and trying again.

[GUIDE] - Disable key in ignition chime-img_20110928_184345.jpg

That's it! Put everything back together and you should be in business.
The following users liked this post:
kalinks (07-08-2018)
Old 09-28-2011, 07:35 PM

I should add, this also allows you to lock the door with your keys in it, so be careful!
The following users liked this post:
kiwiV8 (07-02-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 05:02 PM

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Nichos, this is just what I need. But before I do this, I must confirm that this proceedure is for the recent F150 series? I have a 2012. I noticed your F150 is a 2007. Will the proceedure be the same? Thanks for the great write up. I use my F150 as a geological field vehicle where I am in and out often. I generally leave the key in the ignition and the chime drives me CRAZY!!
Old 03-04-2012, 05:20 PM

In searching this topic, I came across another poster that said this wire-disconnetion method for the ignition chimes will also disable the back up sensors. I do not want to disable those, just the annoying ignition key chime. Is this true???
Old 03-04-2012, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not true. My truck doesnt chime, but my sensors work.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmmm, I was looking to try and get mine to chime again. They never did since I bought it. Since i've left my headlights on and destroyed my battery and would like it to chime again. But mine might be a little more than what you have here, I don't get a door chime for the key, headlights, and when i open the door the radio does not turn off and I do not get a "door ajar" notification either. Where did you get the info on this so i can try and track down whats going on with mine?
Old 03-04-2012, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by ellis4pa
Hmmm, I was looking to try and get mine to chime again. They never did since I bought it. Since i've left my headlights on and destroyed my battery and would like it to chime again. But mine might be a little more than what you have here, I don't get a door chime for the key, headlights, and when i open the door the radio does not turn off and I do not get a "door ajar" notification either. Where did you get the info on this so i can try and track down whats going on with mine?
Same here. One of these days I'm going to try the guide in reverse and reconnect the wires. I'm assuming the guy who owned my truck before me clipped it. With kids, I'd like the autolock function to work too. (it doesnt)
Old 03-05-2012, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by chris302001
Same here. One of these days I'm going to try the guide in reverse and reconnect the wires. I'm assuming the guy who owned my truck before me clipped it. With kids, I'd like the autolock function to work too. (it doesnt)
Dont know what model year you have, but the auto lock/unlock disable/enable proceedure is in the manual. Should be there.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by NevadaFX4
Dont know what model year you have, but the auto lock/unlock disable/enable proceedure is in the manual. Should be there.
I've tried that and it didnt work. When I flip through the different menu's in the info center it tells me there is an autolock error.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:37 PM

Sorry for the slow response, been busy lately, changed jobs, getting married, etc

anyway, these instructions are for my 2007 F150, I'm not sure if it's the same in the newer models. I also don't have a backup camera on my radio so I can't comment on that. Perhaps others could.

Quick Reply: [GUIDE] - Disable key in ignition chime