Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Gotta buy tires...help me pick a size!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 12:24 PM
Shazzam!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Gotta buy tires...help me pick a size!

So "stock" is 275/65/18. My current spare is 275/65/18. The tires I've got on now are 265/70/18. I am thinking of switching to a touring style tire vs an AT with a mean tread. I do "work" with it, but nothing too heavy, just back and forth to work and down to and onto the beach. I've also got 221k on the engine and body, so I'm not too concerned about spending a ton on tires, this may well be the last pair of shoes this old girl gets.

SOOOOOO....I originally looked at 265/70/18 as direct replacements for what I've got. I found some 275/70/18 for reasonable money, only about $10 more per.

What should I be considering? Is there something I'm missing or not considering? I really don't care too much about the tire as long as it goes, stops, and handles.

Mostly I'm looking for someone who knows more than me to say "Oh God, don't go with _____ , get _____ instead!"

Any help, info, or advice would be awesome!

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:30 PM

Received 291 Likes on 238 Posts

I also run the 275/70-18s, as they're a little taller than stock and fill out the fenders just enough for my taste without looking like beachballs under the truck. Also knocks me down a few RPM on the highway. I'm running Cooper A/Ts that came mounted and balanced on new wheels from Tirerack.

I had Goodyears on my Ram1500 and hated them (rode rough/unbalanced... one had broken a belt). I work with a guy who used to work accident reconstruction for the CT state police, and he told me that a common theme at accidents where the driver "lost control" were the Goodyear tires whose belts had separated.

Any particular reason you're looking for the slightly taller tires, rather than stock size?
Old 02-25-2019, 02:29 PM
Shazzam!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dukedkt442
I also run the 275/70-18s, as they're a little taller than stock and fill out the fenders just enough for my taste without looking like beachballs under the truck. Also knocks me down a few RPM on the highway. I'm running Cooper A/Ts that came mounted and balanced on new wheels from Tirerack.

I had Goodyears on my Ram1500 and hated them (rode rough/unbalanced... one had broken a belt). I work with a guy who used to work accident reconstruction for the CT state police, and he told me that a common theme at accidents where the driver "lost control" were the Goodyear tires whose belts had separated.

Any particular reason you're looking for the slightly taller tires, rather than stock size?
looks I guess? fuel mileage (lol)? I really don't have a preference besides price, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

Quick Reply: Gotta buy tires...help me pick a size!