Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Got my Edge Evo today couple of questions and a review so far

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 06:05 PM
06 F150 supercrew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got my Edge Evo today couple of questions and a review so far

Got a couple of questions about it. When I program to the towing mode and fine tune my shift firmness I get a low vibration, only on a certain spot on the pedal, just a low hum, sounds like you have metal against the frame or something and it is vibrating at the RPM of the engine.

Second how accurate is the average miles per gallon on that? I normally get 11-12 mpg with my truck, The Edge is saying average is 14 mpg??? I find it very hard to believe that this thing would improve economy that much.... But maybe it does? I switched from 245 to 265 tires, and now put my tire size into the edge but would that make that much difference?

Other then that I love this thing!!! It is like I am driving a different truck!!! Seems to have more torque and for sure nicer shifting with it being firmer. I love it being able to monitor everything on the truck including mileage and engine load, temps and all of that. Love it!!! I can't believe I waited this long to get one!!!! I am still messing with the shift firmness trying to find that sweet spot for between first and second. I am running that one at 10 and the other two at 8 from second to third and third to OD.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

The vibration sounds like the torque converter might not be locking up.

The MPG gauge isn't any more accurate than the truck computer. In some cases it might be less accurate.

If I were you, I would NOT mess with any transmission settings (shift points, shift firmness, lock-up points, max RPM, etc.) until you've run the unit for a while to let the Evo build it's files.

Even then, if you don't know exactly what you are doing you can screw up your transmission in a hurry.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:58 PM
06 F150 supercrew

What do you mean build up files i set mine up the same as my bro in law has his. I only changed shift firmness nothing else i figured the fuel mileage was not accurate
Old 03-16-2010, 08:04 PM

The Evo needs to build it's performance data files (how your truck responds under varying load, throttle response, etc.).

Does your brother in law have the same engine, year, transmission, mileage, etc.? Is his hex code the same as yours?

If not, then I would leave the stock settings alone for a couple of weeks. Once you've had it installed for a while if you still want to change the settings, make very small changes and only change one thing at a time.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:39 PM
06 F150 supercrew

I did not know all of this thanks for the info. I will set it back to factory tomorrow
Old 03-16-2010, 08:47 PM

Don't set it back to factory (stock). Set it back to level 1 (transmission only), level 2 (tow), or level 3 (91+ octane only).
Old 03-16-2010, 09:08 PM
06 F150 supercrew

I just read the manual again and it says that during first use evo will read original calibration from pcm. Then build all neccessary programs. Does not say anything about leaving it stock for a few weeks. All that becomes is an analizer?
Old 03-16-2010, 09:11 PM
06 F150 supercrew

Well I will set back to tow setting. Again thanks for the tips. This is my first programer so its all new to me

Quick Reply: Got my Edge Evo today couple of questions and a review so far