Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Getting sick of this thing.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting sick of this thing.

Had this truck since November (2007 XLT Screw 4x4) and I love the hell out of it, but I'm about to roll the thing off Big Bear Mountain.

So I went through quite an ordeal replacing manifold studs that were broken and busted and installed some nice new JBA headers and the truck was running awesomely for about a week.

One morning last week I go to start it and it cranks up and I hear some ticking going on. So I figure its time to give the header studs a good tightening because it's been about 300 miles since installing them. While in the process of tightening header bolts, listening for exhaust leak type noises and trying not to burn my hands, I noticed that the ticking noises aren't coming from the exhaust system at all.

Sounds like it's coming from somewhere inside the motor (so I'm already thinking cam phasers or something equally as awesome).

Then for the past two days, when I am driving I can hear a slight whistling noise when the RPMs are coming down like when coming to a stop. It's a kind of cyclic sound and I'm figuring it's from the power steering pump because another symptom that popped up is I can feel a slight grinding in the steering wheel while drive around. Sounds like the world's weakest and crappiest supercharger. I replaced the belt, belt tensioner, and the idler pulleys just to be on the safe side as far as belt driven things go but to no avail.

I changed the oil over the weekend with Motorcraft 5w-20 and the recommended filter hoping the internal sounding noise would subside just a little bit. But it didn't.

All of the noises are getting louder and they are audible inside the cab. I haven't been able to get the time to take it to the dealer because of my chain of command and role as a student (I hate progression schools). Also don't really want to pay the dealer $98 just for them to tell me something is wrong and it isn't covered by warranty.

About to trade this thing in for a Raptor. This thing has cost me way more than it should have already.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djfuzzy
Had this truck since November (2007 XLT Screw 4x4) and I love the hell out of it, but I'm about to roll the thing off Big Bear Mountain.

So I went through quite an ordeal replacing manifold studs that were broken and busted and installed some nice new JBA headers and the truck was running awesomely for about a week.

One morning last week I go to start it and it cranks up and I hear some ticking going on. So I figure its time to give the header studs a good tightening because it's been about 300 miles since installing them. While in the process of tightening header bolts, listening for exhaust leak type noises and trying not to burn my hands, I noticed that the ticking noises aren't coming from the exhaust system at all.

Sounds like it's coming from somewhere inside the motor (so I'm already thinking cam phasers or something equally as awesome).

Then for the past two days, when I am driving I can hear a slight whistling noise when the RPMs are coming down like when coming to a stop. It's a kind of cyclic sound and I'm figuring it's from the power steering pump because another symptom that popped up is I can feel a slight grinding in the steering wheel while drive around. Sounds like the world's weakest and crappiest supercharger. I replaced the belt, belt tensioner, and the idler pulleys just to be on the safe side as far as belt driven things go but to no avail.

I changed the oil over the weekend with Motorcraft 5w-20 and the recommended filter hoping the internal sounding noise would subside just a little bit. But it didn't.

All of the noises are getting louder and they are audible inside the cab. I haven't been able to get the time to take it to the dealer because of my chain of command and role as a student (I hate progression schools). Also don't really want to pay the dealer $98 just for them to tell me something is wrong and it isn't covered by warranty.

About to trade this thing in for a Raptor. This thing has cost me way more than it should have already.
The whining maybe coming from your rear differential. Mine was doing that shortly after I had my gears installed. I am due to take my truck in and have the diff. fluid changed out and the differential cleaned out here pretty soon. That is something else you could try.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by chromefonica
The whining maybe coming from your rear differential. Mine was doing that shortly after I had my gears installed. I am due to take my truck in and have the diff. fluid changed out and the differential cleaned out here pretty soon. That is something else you could try.
The whining is definitely coming from the engine man, it's something belt driven. I had my buddy give it a little gas while I had my head under the hood and heard it clear as day.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:51 AM
fxmf4

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by djfuzzy

The whining is definitely coming from the engine man, it's something belt driven. I had my buddy give it a little gas while I had my head under the hood and heard it clear as day.
Mine has the 04 phaser problem to and mine whines going down the road and ticks.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:03 AM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

The whine could possibly be your alternator bearings, try listening closer to that area for the noise.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:02 AM
Mark

Received 2,434 Likes on 2,131 Posts

Trade it in for a Raptor...
Old 03-09-2012, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by brandonjr36
Mine has the 04 phaser problem to and mine whines going down the road and ticks.
That's what I'm afraid of.
Originally Posted by powerranger262
The whine could possibly be your alternator bearings, try listening closer to that area for the noise.
I'll check that out tomorrow.
Originally Posted by techrep
Trade it in for a Raptor...
I'm already in negotiations with my bank.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:53 PM

And I guess that this is what's meant by the "sounding like a diesel."
http://youtu.be/5PEDuESBc0A
http://youtu.be/Ets3WFIvrVE

Quick Reply: Getting sick of this thing.