Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

General Questions about common issues for 04-08

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default General Questions about common issues for 04-08

From Michigan so keep in mind salty roads when talking about life of components.

I understand that there are these issues with the 04-08 F150 models, below each is my question regarding that issue:
  1. 97-04(heritage only) used the 5.4L 2V which blew out spark plugs
    • No fix other than praying? (helicoil works but I'd rather avoid this motor)
  2. 04(non heritage)-08 used the 5.4L 3V which had factory spark plugs break off in heads
    • Aftermarket plugs of good quality fix issue correct?
  3. 4 speed transmission for entire generation 04-08 was terrible and would fail early
    • Why? What is the issue and remedy?
  4. Cam phaser issue on 5.4L 3V prematurely fails?
    • No remedy other than replacing chains, phasers, tensioners, VVT solenoids every XXX miles? How often is this necessary? Are there aftermarket parts that permanently resolve the issue or have longer life at least?
    • I've read the sticky and thoughts on why these fail.
  5. Driveshaft Carrier bearing replacement requires whole new driveshaft?
    • true or false? If true, what is the life of these bearings?
  6. Injector ticking issue?
    • No idea if this is even common or a big deal. If it is an issue, what's the solution?
ANY other issues that I need to be aware of when looking at used F150's with the 5.4L 3V or 2V ? Is it even worth buying these even if the parts above have all been replaced? I don't want to have to replace this stuff every 50k miles.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:49 AM
SSDD

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,125 Posts

1) Pretty much. Corrected to say that yes, it was more prominent on 2v 5.4. Did have a buddy with an 04 11th gen which blew out

2) Champions worked OK for me. Recently changed back to Motorcraft. SP546. Just try to head it off (change out factory plugs early if possible)

3) Never heard about that. Factory trans here, 223k miles on it.

4) No way to prevent it. If it goes it goes. Do the entire timing job, use 2V ratchet tensioners and an upgraded oil pump

5) Once again, 223k miles. No driveshaft related issues

6) Yeah, they tick. Nature of the beast

I love my truck. Everything internal engine is original. I've replaced parts, yes, but nothing that doesn't fit into the typical wear and tear category

Last edited by SCORGE; 05-16-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:00 AM
ZSK

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I never really consider the Heritage models as an 04-08 F150. To me, they are lumped in with the 97-03 F150.

I had a 2004 2WD 5.4 3V (from 66K to 147K miles) and now have a 2007 4WD 5.4 3V (from 75K to 135K and up). Both trucks are/were leveled with 285/70/17 tire size, and used an Edge programmer. Overall my experiences are very much inline with SCORGE.

Sparkplugs I've only ever used Motorcraft SP515 and now the SP546. I get about 60K miles before individual cylinders start to misfire, and then I put a new set it along with coil boots and new springs. On my 2004 I waited until 100k miles to change the plus and I had five break on the first change, after that they all came out fine. On my 2007 I put a set in when I bought it at 75k and had no problems since.

2004 had no engine issues outside of spark plugs, 2007 I had to change an idler pulley that began to wine and I have a cracked passenger exhaust manifold that leaks at startup. I have a spare Fuel Pump Driver Module in the garage just in case, but haven't needed it yet.

No transmission, driveshaft, brake, suspension issues beyond I what I consider maintenance wear. The 04 needed upper control arms (non replaceable ball joints), the has 07 needed outer tie rod ends.

Only additional advice I can add is that you will always find problems if you read the forums enough. You're looking at trucks that are now 10-15 years old in Michigan (I grew up in MI). Look for rust in the rockers, cab corners, and top of fenders.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by ZSK
I never really consider the Heritage models as an 04-08 F150. To me, they are lumped in with the 97-03 F150.

I had a 2004 2WD 5.4 3V (from 66K to 147K miles) and now have a 2007 4WD 5.4 3V (from 75K to 135K and up). Both trucks are/were leveled with 285/70/17 tire size, and used an Edge programmer. Overall my experiences are very much inline with SCORGE.

Sparkplugs I've only ever used Motorcraft SP515 and now the SP546. I get about 60K miles before individual cylinders start to misfire, and then I put a new set it along with coil boots and new springs. On my 2004 I waited until 100k miles to change the plus and I had five break on the first change, after that they all came out fine. On my 2007 I put a set in when I bought it at 75k and had no problems since.

2004 had no engine issues outside of spark plugs, 2007 I had to change an idler pulley that began to wine and I have a cracked passenger exhaust manifold that leaks at startup. I have a spare Fuel Pump Driver Module in the garage just in case, but haven't needed it yet.

No transmission, driveshaft, brake, suspension issues beyond I what I consider maintenance wear. The 04 needed upper control arms (non replaceable ball joints), the has 07 needed outer tie rod ends.

Only additional advice I can add is that you will always find problems if you read the forums enough. You're looking at trucks that are now 10-15 years old in Michigan (I grew up in MI). Look for rust in the rockers, cab corners, and top of fenders.
After buying my 04 heritage in Michigan, I will never buy another used vehicle here again. I was strapped for money at the time. I'll be going down to Missouri (mother and father in law live there) to find one.

Yeah maybe I'm reading into it too much. At least I'll know what to be wary about. TBH my least concern is the spark plugs. I plan on buying a used truck that has proof they were changed (only interested in 3V version). The cam phaser issue bothers me though. I don't want to have to dick around replacing components every 50k miles. Plus since their lubrication is dependent on the oil pressure, that is an issue in Michigan winters. I live on the lake so it gets damned cold in the middle of winter.

I've read the sticky on how to change out the phaser and timing components, but I've never dicked with timing and it scares me a bit. Are these interference motors (5.4 3V)?
Old 05-16-2018, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by SCORGE
1) Pretty much. I believe this was only evident on the 04-05 3v trucks

2) Champions worked OK for me. Recently changed back to Motorcraft. SP546. Just try to head it off (change out factory plugs early if possible)

3) Never heard about that. Factory trans here, 223k miles on it.

4) No way to prevent it. If it goes it goes. Do the entire timing job, use 2V ratchet tensioners and an upgraded oil pump

5) Once again, 223k miles. No driveshaft related issues

6) Yeah, they tick. Nature of the beast

I love my truck. Everything internal engine is original. I've replaced parts, yes, but nothing that doesn't fit into the typical wear and tear category
1) I thought this issue with not enough threads, was only on the 2V engine models? In which case those were in the F150s before and not after 2004. Maybe I'm mistaken?

3) good to know about the transmission. Did they use the exact same one in all f150s 04-08?

4) So you're saying I should use the 2valve motor's ratchet tensioners in the 3 valve motor? By upgrading the oil pump do you mean to get one that has a higher pressure output? If so, that seems like that would be hard on the seals....no?

Any signs that the phasers or timing needs to be replaced/adjusted?
Old 05-16-2018, 12:04 PM
SSDD

Originally Posted by Boggle247
1) I thought this issue with not enough threads, was only on the 2V engine models? In which case those were in the F150s before and not after 2004. Maybe I'm mistaken?

3) good to know about the transmission. Did they use the exact same one in all f150s 04-08?

4) So you're saying I should use the 2valve motor's ratchet tensioners in the 3 valve motor? By upgrading the oil pump do you mean to get one that has a higher pressure output? If so, that seems like that would be hard on the seals....no?

Any signs that the phasers or timing needs to be replaced/adjusted?
1) Yeah, not enough threads until they redesigned the heads. 04 I know were prone to this. Had a buddy who lost a plug on the highway.
3) Yes, I think so.
4) Look up melling. OEM pumps didn't put enough oil pressure out. It won't damage rings/seals

If your truck sounds like a diesel, you need new phasers. There's a few noises the timing system will make, from clacking, to certain ticks.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:21 PM

1) Yeah, not enough threads until they redesigned the heads. 04 I know were prone to this. Had a buddy who lost a plug on the highway.
3) Yes, I think so.
4) Look up melling. OEM pumps didn't put enough oil pressure out. It won't damage rings/seals

If your truck sounds like a diesel, you need new phasers. There's a few noises the timing system will make, from clacking, to certain ticks.
Was your buddy's truck a heritage? If it was not a heritage, I think that means it's a 3V which is concerning bc I thought those didn't have that issue. Because I can deal with later issue where plugs break, bc that's as simple as making sure the truck I buy has had them changed. But I don't want to touch the engines with the too-few-threads bc the only solution for that is helicoil which I don't want to do. I'm not trying to argue, just trying to understand when exactly the redesign took place so I can avoid the years where the engines had the too-few-spark plug threads issue. I'm new here but I can see by your profile that you must have a better understanding about all of this than I do.

I'll be buying my first house next year, so I'm trying to find a cheap, reliable, not-rotted out truck, that will last me a long time without any nasty costly surprises, since my extra money will be tied up in the house for the first couple years.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:43 PM
SSDD

Originally Posted by Boggle247
Was your buddy's truck a heritage? If it was not a heritage, I think that means it's a 3V which is concerning bc I thought those didn't have that issue. Because I can deal with later issue where plugs break, bc that's as simple as making sure the truck I buy has had them changed. But I don't want to touch the engines with the too-few-threads bc the only solution for that is helicoil which I don't want to do. I'm not trying to argue, just trying to understand when exactly the redesign took place so I can avoid the years where the engines had the too-few-spark plug threads issue. I'm new here but I can see by your profile that you must have a better understanding about all of this than I do.

I'll be buying my first house next year, so I'm trying to find a cheap, reliable, not-rotted out truck, that will last me a long time without any nasty costly surprises, since my extra money will be tied up in the house for the first couple years.
No, it was a 11th gen. I may be getting things jumbled up (it's not unheard of, lol) , but I'm pretty sure the early 3valves had the short thread issue as well. I agree on the helicoil, I wouldn't want to do that. If you're looking for a 5.4. I'd go 07 or newer. Look for an engine with an OCT 07 build date and brown COP boots. Those are the best ones you can find for this generation
I'll champion for the 5.4, I know they have issues, but mine has been an amazing truck. Just stay on top of maintenance. Right now, we're speculating. Once you start looking for trucks, post them up. All of the quirks and any info you can cram into a post. A lot of smart people here who can help guide you. You are correct though, it was more prominent on the 2v's

Last edited by SCORGE; 05-16-2018 at 12:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Boggle247 (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 01:14 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Ford F150 2004

My experience to date.
Purchased 2004 F150, new style, in 2011. July. 71890 miles at the time of purchase. 123300 right now.
1. Cam phasers replaced @ 73850. (no issue since, runs mostly quiet. Do have a little noise sometimes on start up, not every time. Probably a leaking tensioner, will be looking into a repair if it gets worse)
2. No drive shaft issue.
3. Added a pint of tranny fluid last summer. Original transmission. No issues. Pulled a light pop up for six years. Started pulling a 7000 lb. camper last year. 1600 miles roughly. No issue.
4. I did replace the VCT solenoids @ 95940. I had purchased them when I originally replaced the cam phasers but didn't install them until much later. I noted no real difference in performance or sound.
5. Injectors are just not quiet. Not an issue in my opinion.

Things other than you mentioned. The four wheel drive apparatus is a little weak. The vacuum solenoids get weak on the front or leak, which may cause them to half shift into gear. I had this issue. Had them replaced @ 86252 miles. No issue since. That was the last major repair 4 years ago.
Other things to look for. Fuel pump control module located in a stupid place, above the rear axle. I replaced mine. I also put new brake rotors on six years ago. 80500 miles.

In closing, although these pickups get a lot of bad press, if you take care of them, use the correct oil and oil filters, 5w20 or 5w30 and a motorcraft, fix the issues, they will run a long time.

Failed to mention, the plugs were changed shortly after I bought it. 500 bucks, all broke off. But no issues since.

Last edited by Patrick Boehm; 05-16-2018 at 01:31 PM. Reason: add one comment
Old 05-16-2018, 01:15 PM

No, it was a 11th gen. I may be getting things jumbled up (it's not unheard of, lol) , but I'm pretty sure the early 3valves had the short thread issue as well. I agree on the helicoil, I wouldn't want to do that. If you're looking for a 5.4. I'd go 07 or newer. Look for an engine with an OCT 07 build date and brown COP boots. Those are the best ones you can find for this generation
I'll champion for the 5.4, I know they have issues, but mine has been an amazing truck. Just stay on top of maintenance. Right now, we're speculating. Once you start looking for trucks, post them up. All of the quirks and any info you can cram into a post. A lot of smart people here who can help guide you. You are correct though, it was more prominent on the 2v's
Thanks for all of the great info. You're probably right, at this point I need to just start looking and report back with sounds or issues I'm unsure of. I've probably spend over 20 hours researching these by now. Thanks again

Quick Reply: General Questions about common issues for 04-08