Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Gas got in crank case, could use some help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gas got in crank case, could use some help

Ok so I was doing phaser/timing chain replacement. Got everything finished and buttoned up and had an awful startup, sporadic idle, etc. It also had a fuel leak coming from the sensor on the drivers side fuel rail.

Got that all fixed up but went to change the oil and it came out like a milkshake and smelled like straight up gasoline.

Decided I was going I take the valve covers off and timing cover off to see if maybe I did something else wrong during my phaser job.

I got the drivers side cover off and holy crap. It's sludgy in there and smells like fuel like I figured.

What can I do (besides taking the whole motor apart) to help in cleaning this excess fuel out of there?

I'm kind of thinking my truck is just acting like it's flooded and I actually did everything right on the phaser job.

If anyone has any pointers on cleaning the fuel out of there, it would be much appreciated.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:01 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Never ran into an issue like this myself, but here's what I would do..Get some cheap oil, about 5 quarts or so, and with the valve cover off just pour it all over the cylinder head and let it drop down through the galleys into the pan.. The goal here is to rinse and dilute that contaminated oil out. Keep the drain plug off and let that oil flow out of the pan.. Then do a standard oil change and filter with cheaper fluid, and drain it again after a good 20 minutes of idling. Then put your oil of a choice and a fresh filter on.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:45 PM

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

I suspect a deeper issue. If you had the injector rails off and the injectors, it only takes a few specs of dirt getting in the hang an injector open and that would cause part of what your seeing. each injector inlet has a small screen it it, but smaller particles can get past and hang an injector open so it washes down that cylinder. But the fuel usually does not cause the milkiness your seeing, that is usually water/moisture along with the oil.

Look at plugs right after shut-down and the one stuck will show a wet plug, the rest should be dry and light brown deposits.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:43 PM

I'm pretty sure the root of the problem is my mistake while taking stuff apart. I damaged that o-ring in the sensor and when the truck started it it was flinging gas all over the place including the plug holes over on the passenger side.

Anyway, got my timing issues addressed today so I'll be throwing it back together tomorrow morning, but first I'm going to drop the oil pan. With the timing cover removed I can see quite a bit of milkshake oil in the bottom of the pan. I cleaned up quite a bit off the goopy oil from the front of the heads and plan to flush it as mentioned above once I get the front cover back on.

I will check the injectors though, don't want to be doing all this stuff again.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:52 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Oil doesn't turn into milkshake because of fuel contamination. You got coolant into it somehow.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:20 PM

Agree w/postal. Coolant/water getting in somewhere.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:10 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

I agree it sounds like coolant is getting into your oil to have that much milky sludge. A bad intake or head gasket can cause this. Have you done a compression check?
Old 03-25-2014, 08:08 AM

I'll look into it more but I'm convinced it fuel due to the first time I started the truck and it ran ****ty there was also a puddle of fuel dripping under the truck. Turns out that o-ring was spraying gas all over the engine compartment, the next time I started the truck after fixing that o-ring it didn't shoot gas all over the place.

I'm thinking that I didn't properly seal one of the timing cover points where it's required to use RTV when reassembling. And that's how fuel may have gotten in there, or coolant or whatever it was.

I'll run a compression check this after noon as well as check out all my injectors.

Thanks for the ideas y'all
Old 03-26-2014, 03:18 PM

Compression test wont tell you, do a leak down test to pinpoint what and where. A comp test is just a quick way to look for a seriously compromised cylinder/piston seal issue. Leak down will be far more exact and also pinpoint the source.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:17 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Next time apply a little clean engine oil to the o rings for assembly. It makes things go a lot easier and you won't have to worry about tearing one or getting one moved out of place.

Quick Reply: Gas got in crank case, could use some help