Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Front CV axle, differential?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 01:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front CV axle, differential?

I had a bad CV axle on my passenger side, I replaced it for the next one to mess up again, 2 years later it's bad again. It has a lifetime warranty on it but is it just bad luck or is something else causing it to be bad? When the truck is up and I spin the tire it causes the a-arm to raise and then go back to normal. Just wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with this.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:13 PM

Received 291 Likes on 238 Posts

Is your 4x4 engaging while driving, causing your CV to bind? With the front tires off the ground and the engine off, they should be difficult to spin (as they're spinning the axles and front driveshaft), but with the engine on, they should spin freely (check to make sure the axles don't move). If the axles still move, time to start figuring out where your vacuum leak is (vacuum lines, accumulator, or IWE/4x4 solenoid, for example).
Old 03-12-2019, 08:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dukedkt442
Is your 4x4 engaging while driving, causing your CV to bind? With the front tires off the ground and the engine off, they should be difficult to spin (as they're spinning the axles and front driveshaft), but with the engine on, they should spin freely (check to make sure the axles don't move). If the axles still move, time to start figuring out where your vacuum leak is (vacuum lines, accumulator, or IWE/4x4 solenoid, for example).
A totally a couple months ago it was stuck in 4wd, I think that's when all this started happening. Driving I feel some wheel shake and i thought it was **** roads or tire balancing or alignment. When I jacked up the front and free spin the wheels the driver side was fine but the passenger side it was easy then rough back to easy when it a certain rotation (like 3 o'clock) and I noticed the a-arm would come up during that same time.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:09 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That "A arm" lift sounds a lot like a binding axle CV. Not a good thing. The A arm should not move at all.

Quick Reply: Front CV axle, differential?