Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Front Axle

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front Axle

While installing a 6” inch lift on my 2006 F150 4x4, the front passenger axle slid right out with no resistance after I removed the CV half shaft. I have never worked on front diffs before so I assumed this shouldn’t happen. Went to the dealership to see if there should have been a snap ring. Apparently there is a circlip. I ordered the circlip. After it arrived, I realized I have never seen the design before and have no clue how it is used. Can anyone tell me how I am supposed to use this part on the axle? I looked on the shorter driver side and it definitely uses a snap ring.

The brand new circlip that came in from Ford.

Front Axle, Passenger Side

Close-up of Front Axle's Splines

Close up of Spline and circlip

Passenger side of the front diff where the axle slides in. The axle tube is removed.

On the left is the spline the axle slides in and ends up. This is a pic of inside the diff.

One the left, passenger axle inserted. No resistance.

View of how the driver side (short axle inserts)

The driver side axle uses a snap ring.

Please help... I'd like to get the diff put together today so I can put it back in and finish the lift.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:28 PM

Received 131 Likes on 121 Posts

Will the clip fit in that groove otherwise you'll have to get a snap ring
Old 09-17-2016, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Krack499
Will the clip fit in that groove otherwise you'll have to get a snap ring
Nah... It didnt seat well at all. I figured it would be a snap ring. I wonder why there was never one on it. Pretty sure no one has been in the diff bsides me despite being the second owner because when i took the cover off, there was no gasket, rather grey rtv. The same as was in the rear diff and the same as it was in the seem of the front axle tube to the front diff. I think thatbtype of rtv is from Ford.

I wonder if that side was intentionally not installed as to allow axle, axle tube, and seal replacement without dropping the diff. In itls original setup, there is litterally no room to remove the diff cover let alone room to work on removing a snap ring.... The diff would have to be dropped to remove it.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:40 AM

Question pulling the diff cover

did you have to drop the front axle to access the differential cover to remove it? if so do you still have pictures? My driver side snap ring needs replaced ( it's missing) and I'm curious what/ how difficult this will be. if i need to post somewhere else or this has already been posted i'm sorry.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by pyrofighter06
did you have to drop the front axle to access the differential cover to remove it? if so do you still have pictures? My driver side snap ring needs replaced ( it's missing) and I'm curious what/ how difficult this will be. if i need to post somewhere else or this has already been posted i'm sorry.
It's been nearly a year, but as I recall, I was in the process of lifting my truck 6". With the original height, it seemed nearly impossible to get the cover off without dropping the diff. Well since I was lifting and had to install drop brackets anyways, I dropped the diff to get the cover off. I don't have any pics unfortunately, but dropping the diff is 3 bolts for the actual diff. You may be able to just remove the2 on the driver side and let is swing down just enough to clear the cover for removal, if not then the one in the passenger has to come out. With a floor jack, I did this all by myself. Not really all that difficult if the bolts aren't seized. I had to cut the passenger side. Hope that kinda helps.. let me know if you have any questions. My passenger clip was missing too.

Quick Reply: Front Axle