Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Ford F150 Window issue? U-Joints?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford F150 Window issue? U-Joints?

I have an 04 F150 4x4 145K on the truck and 40K on the engine.

These windows are driving me crazy. I have taken it in (about 6 months ago) and I have replaced the master switch twice. When I replace the master switch it will give me a few months without issue then right back to it. Before it was just the drivers window but now its all four. I have no idea what to do . When I press the down button on the driver side panel the a/c fan button lights up everytime. Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this? Im in the military and am required to roll down my window to get on base. They don't respond well to door opening. haha

Instead of posting again I thought I would merge these. When I am on the highway I get a shaking feeling in my steering wheel (aligment maybe) then 50-60 MPH when accelerating the truck almost cuts out but doesn't feel like bad fuel or even a trans problem. This literally only happens at that speed and its when im speeding up. If I coast into then I have no issues at all. I currently have no sensors on and ran at home diagnostic with no codes received.

Any help on these would be great.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:37 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

1st issue could be a ground problem all 4 windows share a ground through the master switch I believe. Try tracing the ground wire backwards from the master switch. Clean the plug that plugs into the master switch.

2nd issue will be tough and you'll just have to start eliminating one thing at a time. Could be a misfire, this is actually a common issue for people on here. Only misfires at certain speeds. Where you don't feel it while coasting this could be a potential fix. Could also be tire balancing. A road force balance is supposedly the best for these trucks, but I have never had to deal with it I'm just speaking from what I've seen on here. Could be U-joints as you suspect. Maybe someone else will have a better place to start but those would be my first suspects.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the answers. Im definitely thinking of starting with the tire balance and the ground. Those would be pretty easy solutions and not kill the wallet.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:03 PM

Yes those are a couple good places to start. A misfire can be as cheap as $30 and about 30 minutes or as expensive as a few hundred dollars and a few hours.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:07 PM

https://www.f150forum.com/search.php?searchid=12858440

https://www.f150forum.com/search.php?searchid=12858454

Search some keywords on the forum and you will find many helpful threads. As stated there are several threads on here titled "shudder/studder at 50-60mph, Shudder at 1200-1500rpms ect" think a lot of them end up being misfires but I could be wrong on that.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:29 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Default The wires in the flex boot driver side

The door joint gets operated all the time, breaks wires inside of insulation . lift battery negative, ohm out each wire across this joint, flex it as yours is intermittent . You may have to use sharp needles on probes .
This is a common problem .
Old 03-30-2017, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vibration at speed

Vibration felt in the steering wheel is usually due to unbalanced wheels that vibrate up the steering system to the steering wheel. Rebalance your wheels, if that doesn't work your wheels could be bent or tires defective. Alignment usually doesn't cause that sort of vibration. Alignment can cause tire wear, pull left/right, steering wheel off center, etc. if you got your tires at a big box type location they should rebalance for free.

Im fairly positive it's a balance or wheel tire issue. From years as a professional mechanic.

As as far as the switch issue for the love of anything stop buying switches. There is something not being addressed by new switches, short circuit, water leak, could be a lot of things

Last edited by BigTater; 03-31-2017 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Adding info