Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Flareside 5th wheel problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flareside 5th wheel problem?

Hi,

Please excuse me if this is in the wrong forum, I am a newbie!

I have a 2008 Flare side crew cab and I went to have a 5th wheel installed. They called me back to say that it is not recommended to haul the a 5th wheel with a flare side sue to stability reasons.

Has any one else had this problem, or is this just something that I should ignore and go to a different installer.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2012, 05:45 PM
HOPEFUL

Received 270 Likes on 200 Posts

the truck itself and track width is no narrower than a regular bed. the distance between the fenderwells is no narrower. the only difference is overall bed width. the very back of the bed (at the tailgate opening) is narrower than anything else, but as long as the trailer clears it I cant see why it would be a problem. it may just be the fact that they (the shop doing the install) have never done a 5th wheel install on a flare side. if thats the case I would sit down and discuss it with them and make sure that both they and you understand that once the work begins they arent liable for anything other than installation issues or mechanical defects.
if they install it and it tears your trailer up due to clearance issues, that would be on you, not them. you may even have to sign a waiver before they are willing to the work.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

because its a small box as well as a flare, did you buy a sliding hitch? due to the lack of box length you still need the hitch on the axle for when towing, but when you park it and back up to jack knife it you slide it back so its behind the axle and the trailer does not hit the cab. and because its a flare i wonder if its to narrow to fit the hitch in the box and be able to lock and unlock the pin

Quick Reply: Flareside 5th wheel problem?