Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

F150Torqued NEEDs HELP testing TORQUE PRO gauge for IMRC valve.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 12:38 PM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

Question F150Torqued NEEDs HELP testing TORQUE PRO gauge for IMRC valve.

Hey Torque Pro fellas, I need testing - verification help on the Intake Manifold Runner Control operation. I was pretty sure my IMRC was binding, (obstructed by wiring harness), but now I'm not sure that I have the gizmo figured out yet. I used to think it was 'ALL or NOTHING' open or closed. I would like to know how yours is operating - (or NOT operating).

Here is the back story: As you may know - I have done a lot of 'hacking' OBDII operations using Torque Pro. Some time back, I found two OBDII PIDs (parameter IDs) for the intake manifold runner control on my 5.4L. The 'FIRST' is IMRC - a one 'bit' switch - (PID# 1103, Bit(A:4). I believe it represents the PCM's logic in determining it needs the IMRC valve open - and the switch represents it's command state, ie: One to OPEN, Zero to close. The 'SECOND' is _IMRCM -(PID #1634) designated in research documentation as the a 'MONITOR'. That would suggest this PID is simply 'a monitor' - passively indicating actual position. ??????

This of course would be useful if there is 'binding' of the mechanical linkage preventing FULL OPERATION (opening or closing).

However - developing a workable 'formula' or 'equation' that would not 'FAIL' under certain conditions and represent the valve's position has been one of the MOST ELUSIVE that I have encountered. It seemed everything I came up with would FAIL (produce STUPID results) at times. Thus, I was never able to decide HOW I thought the damn thing worked for sure - or what it was actually doing.

I have NOW recently PERFECTED the formula / equation. And I am very confident it reads correct from Zero to 100% OPEN per the valves position, without failure. NOW I must admit --- I have come to doubt what I thought I knew. Mine 'appears' that the Monitor PID may be an ACTIVE 'proportional' control signal instead of a PASSIVE 'position monitor' reading.

My readings are 'proportional' from 25% - 50% - 75% open, and occasionally 100% depending on what appears to be severl - very relevant- factors. ie: Air Temperature, Load, RPM, and even engine run time. If my linkage is binding - then WHY can the reading reach 75% or even 100% open occasionally, And light cruising acceleration (75% LOAD) give 25% - 50% IMRC reading depending on ambient air temperature.

------- MY REQUEST FOR HELP. If you Torque Pro Users would load the attached 'CSV' file and add an IMRC gauge, and use the parameters to monitor YOUR IMRC operation ----- Reporting conditions and readings back in this thread.... It would be most helpful and informative. Not only for me. But for others that encounter trouble with the mysterious IMRC valve.

The ^above^ dashboard consists mostly of standard PIDs available in Torque Pro with FORD Extended PID set, except for the following ones - which are included in the attached 'CSV' file for downloading and importing into Torque Pro.

1.) IMRC - the On/Off switch indicating IMRC valve activation ??? or "Enabled" ???

2.) _IMRCM - analogue 'Monitor" PID indication for position ??? or "may be a proportional control signal"

3.) LOOP - My own fuel system 'closed loop' indicator. (I like the logic reversed to show 'in closed loop' instead of 'in open loop'.

4.) IMSCF - Intake manifold Swirl Control FAULT. The PCM's indication it is in MFEM fault mode.

As always disclaimer - these PIDs should work on 2004 - 2008 with 5.4l for sure, beyond that I'm not sure other than there are lots of variations in the OBDII pid assignments. Please try them.

EDIT: Updated formula in CSV file (to avoid occasional erroneous reading) . Reload current version.
Attached Files
File Type: csv
F150_IMRC_IMSC_Monitor_v1-04.csv (763 Bytes, 150 views)

Last edited by F150Torqued; 03-22-2019 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Spelling and clarification
Old 03-22-2019, 10:51 AM
LightningRod

Unhappy --- b u m p ---

*** B U M P ***

Still no takers after 4 months??

I'm still trying to figure out if my Torque Pro pids and screens are formulated correctly. This isn't particularly easy to perfect formulas with only ONE subject to test on. I know my IMRC is opening (by watching with an "MScope Pro" camera), but it's NOT EASY to get positioned well. Probably impossible to tell if it is opening 100% without removing manifold - which would not prove no binding on re-installation. I cannot determine if mine is functioning perfectly - or binding.

I am CERTAIN I have the correct PIDs identified by comparing readings to Video of the IMRC valve on my truck. Although actual operation is still uncertain. Does the PCM operate the IMRC in "FULL ON/OFF" states via PID 1103 (Bit A:4) with PID 1634 providing feedback of "% Open". Or is 1103 an 'enable' signal with 1634 providing 'proportional' control to the device. After much testing / effort, I am almost certain my formula for PID 1634 is correct. My IMRC opens 50 - 75% under some conditions and occasionally 100% - WITHOUT logical explination (other than perhaps binding).

It would be very helpful to have feedback from any other Torque Pro user monitoring their IMRC operation. (I believe - it should OPEN 100% every time PID 1103 (Bit A:4) goes true, and PID 1634 indicates its actual position, (ie: a Monitor signal).

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:47 PM

Received 120 Likes on 102 Posts

Count me in. I'll load it and start using today and report back with what results I obtain.
The following users liked this post:
F150Torqued (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 03:17 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Can you measure voltage on the IMRC motor wires to see what the control signal looks like? Also might be telling to know what type of motor the IMRC motor is.

Any chance that manifold runner vacuum (pressure differential) or air velocity helps open the valves? The motor "allows" 100% if the air is needed.

Interesting project.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:29 PM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

i deleted mine, that thing is worthless and makes the intake manifold a pain in the *** to take off. Deleted the flaps, sealed the holes and got a sct x4 tune from Billy Brantley in the 04-08 11th gen group.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by MHOWELL34
i deleted mine, that thing is worthless and makes the intake manifold a pain in the *** to take off. Deleted the flaps, sealed the holes and got a sct x4 tune from Billy Brantley in the 04-08 11th gen group.
Why don't you just go all the way and put a carburetor back on?
Old 03-22-2019, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by BareBonesXL
Why don't you just go all the way and put a carburetor back on?
funny it’s tuned for it. Air and fuel are fine. Mustang owners do it all the time and the Australian cast one don’t have them either.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:43 PM

Just kidding. F150Torqued still has an interesting project going whatever anyone's opinion about IMRC's.

Let's stay on topic. It's not really about IMRC's. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by BareBonesXL
Just kidding. F150Torqued still has an interesting project going whatever anyone's opinion about IMRC's.

Let's stay on topic. It's not really about IMRC's. Thanks.
you good, but still it don’t even turn on until the engine is under load
Old 03-22-2019, 11:03 PM
LightningRod

Originally Posted by MHOWELL34
Perhaps you'd donate the little gizmo to a good cause (if you still have it). I'd pay shipping cost - and dissect it.

While the objective is, as @BareBonesXL said, not to build a case for or justify the IMRC or charge motion control valve. The little bastard is located back there where one can't see it - feel it - or even touch it, and where it can bind up on firewall insulation and harness wiring or brake booster hose. It is impossible to determine if it is working right or not - but OBDII provides _SOME_ information about what it is doing if I can figure out how the readings work. Torque Pro could reliably tell one if it is working ---- without having to see back there.

Quick Reply: F150Torqued NEEDs HELP testing TORQUE PRO gauge for IMRC valve.