Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

exchange one stock radio for another without problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exchange one stock radio for another without problems?

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a 2005 F-150 Lariat Crewcab yesterday. The truck is absolutely beautiful except for the stereo. All the button faces are scratched off.

I originally wanted to just add a 3.5 Aux input jack to the stock stereo, but all the reading I've done last night I don't think its in my budget.

My truck has a 6 disc cd changer stock stereo. I called a wrecker near me today and they have the stereo with the single cd and the cassette deck.

My question is will the different type of stereo plug and play? I have no use at all for the cd player, but I could (in the short term) use the tape deck with one of those cassettes with the wire for speaker connection.

I want to know if I plug this in if it will work and if all my steering wheel controls will work? Will anything need to be reprogrammed by the dealer?

My user manual shows 3 or 4 different stereos and the one with the cassette deck is in there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I also found a replacement stereo on ebay for an alright price with a single CD and and added 3.5 aux port. I thought of ordering it, but I'm taking the truck on a long trip next week and the seller would not express ship it to me. All the same questions though, will the single disc stereo plug and play with my harness (everything looks the same) and will the steering wheel controls work etc.

Thank you!
Old 10-28-2014, 02:15 PM

Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

It may work, but my experience with used head units is that they are a crap shoot. If the do work, they won't for long. I purchased and returned 2 I got on ebay because they both had problems (CD wouldn't load with one and no output to rear speakers on the other). I gave up and went aftermarket. This was with my 05 mustang, but the head units are pretty much the same. OBTW, you can purchase new faceplates cheap to correct the faded button issues. Ebay has those, as well.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:11 AM
Cant this thing go faster

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GTP20
Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a 2005 F-150 Lariat Crewcab yesterday. The truck is absolutely beautiful except for the stereo. All the button faces are scratched off.

I originally wanted to just add a 3.5 Aux input jack to the stock stereo, but all the reading I've done last night I don't think its in my budget.

My truck has a 6 disc cd changer stock stereo. I called a wrecker near me today and they have the stereo with the single cd and the cassette deck.

My question is will the different type of stereo plug and play? I have no use at all for the cd player, but I could (in the short term) use the tape deck with one of those cassettes with the wire for speaker connection.

I want to know if I plug this in if it will work and if all my steering wheel controls will work? Will anything need to be reprogrammed by the dealer?

My user manual shows 3 or 4 different stereos and the one with the cassette deck is in there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I also found a replacement stereo on ebay for an alright price with a single CD and and added 3.5 aux port. I thought of ordering it, but I'm taking the truck on a long trip next week and the seller would not express ship it to me. All the same questions though, will the single disc stereo plug and play with my harness (everything looks the same) and will the steering wheel controls work etc.

Thank you!

It should work fine, I'm running an 07-08 single CD in an 06 XL. If you are going to use an 07 up radio you will need an antenna adapter though.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can sell you mine! $40 and its yours. Stock stereo 6cd changer from my 04 lariat. Its in good cond. Everything works. Only issue is that it is pre-06 so it doesn't have auxiliary

Edit: I just looked at it and there is an aux button but i dont remember ever having an aux cable anywhere lol so i guess you can wire it in somehow

Last edited by SuperMacDaddy; 11-02-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:56 PM
Cant this thing go faster

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperMacDaddy
Edit: I just looked at it and there is an aux button but i dont remember ever having an aux cable anywhere lol so i guess you can wire it in somehow

They all have it, it just isn't activated for aux audio.

Quick Reply: exchange one stock radio for another without problems?