Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Electrical/Relay/Fuse Box

Old 02-08-2017, 07:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Electrical/Relay/Fuse Box

I'm looking for input about an electrical problem I've been having with my 2008 Ford F150. I've determined that I have 12 volts all the way up to the fuse box. The tan/red wire that comes from NSS to fuse box location has 12V and terminal 86 has 12V but only at a specific point of contact. I used the tip of a small resistor to make contact with the terminals. When I'm on the bottom part of terminal 86 I was getting 12V but I couldn't get 12V at the top part of the terminal. I believe there is something wrong with the terminals (burnt?) but I'm not sure how to tell.

I'm looking for advice/information about the fuse box and the contacts behind relay 01. Is the 12V that comes in from the NSS transferred to the relay using an electrical board like a motherboard? I've been using jumper cables to apply voltage directly to the ignition post on the starter solenoid in order to get around. Is there a reason why I can't route a wire from there up to my ignition wire? When I turn the ignition it would send 12V down the wire and directly to the starter. I know bypassing the NSS involves certain safety features but I'm not going to start my truck in gear. Is there any reason why bypassing the relay and fuses would be a bad idea?
Attached Thumbnails Electrical/Relay/Fuse Box-img_20170201_111453192.jpg   Electrical/Relay/Fuse Box-ford-f150-2004-2014-fuse-box-diagram.jpg  
Old 02-08-2017, 09:51 PM

Alright so I have some new information. I checked the tan/red wire and I have 12V when turning the key. I checked terminal 86 and I have 12V when turning the key. I also checked terminal 30 and it has 12V. I know the problem is that the relay is not picking up the signal. I don't hear the relay click when turning the key. I tried changing the relay and it doesn't make a difference. I believe it has something to do with the PCM or a ground issue. Thoughts?
Old 02-08-2017, 11:07 PM

I wrapped some wire around terminal 85 of the starter relay and plugged it in. I attached the other end to some alligator clips and clipped it near the glove box. The truck started! I turned it off and tried starting it again and it tried at first but now I have nothing again. I tried moving the ground to the negative battery terminal but that didn't make a difference.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:14 PM

The PCM was bad.

Search this Thread