Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

electric fans in my 2004 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default electric fans in my 2004 5.4

Ive decided to put in an electric fan to try and free up some ponies. Ive also heard it helps a little with mpg. Im thinking i going to go with hayden dual 14" fans and a hayden dual fan thermostat because i can get them for under $150 for the whole setuo from work. The only problem i have is the mounting of the fans. Is it ok to mount them through the radiator or can that potentially cause damage? and other mounting ideas? Thanks for the feedback!
Old 12-30-2013, 12:47 PM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Was thinking about the same thing (electric fan).
I took off my fan to see the difference, and the most notable change is how quiet the engine is or rather how much noise the stock fan makes. I ended up putting the fan back on and delaying this project for a while. I have a brand new fan clutch so the stock setup should be as good as possible, I am sure under a lot of stop and go it will make a difference in MPG and power but it's not night and day. But if your fan clutch is not working it will have more of an impact.

I found an old thread on here where a guy put in the fan from a 2010 model and it only requires one bracket modification on the drivers side. You can get the fans/shroud in both motor craft and aftermarket versions.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:00 PM

Yeah I live in the city so its stop and go all the time. My fan is extremely loud and my fan is always roaring even when its 10 degrees outside so im sure the cluth isnt operating like it should. I figured i might as well get a little more then just replacing the clutch again. I have a nice 3 foot peice of angle iron i was thinking of making a mounting bracket out of just to keep the weight off the radiator.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:11 PM

Yeah I agree I would not replace the fan clutch I would put that money toward the electric. Post some pics if you fabricate a bracket.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:20 PM

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

I've also read this will make the ac more efficient sitting in traffic.... In fact that is probably the biggest reason I would do this. Make sure to post pics...
Old 12-30-2013, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by 07_F150_XLT_SCab
I've also read this will make the ac more efficient sitting in traffic.... In fact that is probably the biggest reason I would do this. Make sure to post pics...
Yes I believe this is true, one of the reasons I want to eventually do this also. I had my fan off for a couple of weeks but the weather changed and the condenser was getting very hot at idle with defrost on so I put the mechanical fan back on.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:38 PM

i think im going to do it for the new year. the fans come with a plastic connecter that runs through the vents that you are suppose to be able to mount the fan with but it doesnt seem like it will be sturdy enough for city use, never the less off roading.

http://www.haydenauto.com/upload/Hay...ctric_Fans.pdf

Found this pdf file online with all the parts I think i will need. page 3 shows the mounting kit with the cheep plastic peice. not sure how well they will work. what do you guy think?
Old 12-30-2013, 05:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've also thought about doing an electric fan swap as well but haven't gotten around to it. I want to say I read in an old thread that you can use a ford contour or taurus electric fan from a junk yard but don't hold me to it I could be wrong. If that is the case that would be an awesome on a budget way to do it. Best of luck man!
The following users liked this post:
REGALADER1 (12-30-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by tyler85
I've also thought about doing an electric fan swap as well but haven't gotten around to it. I want to say I read in an old thread that you can use a ford contour or taurus electric fan from a junk yard but don't hold me to it I could be wrong. If that is the case that would be an awesome on a budget way to do it. Best of luck man!
I saw some guys using the taurus fans when I started looking at this a while ago. Lincoln mark VIII fans are also popular with custom car guys.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/oth...-pics-vid.html

The guy on this thread was using the new ford fan it was appealing to me because it looks like you only have to make one small bracket change.

Quick Reply: electric fans in my 2004 5.4