Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

DWV Intake Mod /Gotts mod - battery disconnect and why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DWV Intake Mod /Gotts mod - battery disconnect and why?

Hi all, I'm doing el cheapo Gotts mod (DWV Intake Mod) -- some of the online instructions suggest a battery disconnect before running it (something to do with a computer reset), others don't.

How important is it do disconnect battery and why? I believe the air intake sensor is further 'downstream' so wouldn't that automatically take into account the slightly increased airflow?

('scuse my ignorance but I still can't get my head around computer controlled cars, I live in the carburetor age).

thanks
Old 10-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Big Kahuna

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I read once that Bill (the guy that writes the custom programs at PHP) said it was not necessary, the computer would adjust automatically.

Personally I don't think it would hurt, let it reset and "relearn" the calibrations, it only takes 30sec to reset it anyway.

Long story short I did reset mine. I think it's really personal choice.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

just unplug it due to it empties out the pcm's short and long term memory, in theory it may not register the new amount of air for several 100 miles (long term memory) and can cause the motor to run lean. thus causing severe problems, in theory it needs to be acclimated to the new amount of air flow going in, thats why at work regaurdless of what we do to a car we always un hook the battery (for several reasons)
Old 10-07-2011, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info

Quick Reply: DWV Intake Mod /Gotts mod - battery disconnect and why?