Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Drivers lock not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 10:39 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Drivers lock not working

I have a 2008 Fx4 4x4 and this is the first time my drivers lock has done this. It's our first real cold snap (-30C) and my truck is outside at the cottage. I had my truck running for 30mins to let it warm up and went back out to shut it off but my keyless entry wouldn't unlock my drivers door. Even the unlock button from inside wouldn't do it nor my remote. I pulled it up manually and hit lock and it works fine. It just won't unlock. Any fixes before I take it in?
Old 12-28-2014, 11:12 AM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

I'd check the fuse first. Don't know if you have access to a multi-meter, but I'd check that you're getting power to the lock solenoid before I took it in. It's pretty much going to be a bad switch or a bad solenoid. Shouldn't be that hard a fix, but if you have to do it outside in those temps I'd deal with it until summer. lol.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Rick's 06
I'd check the fuse first. Don't know if you have access to a multi-meter, but I'd check that you're getting power to the lock solenoid before I took it in. It's pretty much going to be a bad switch or a bad solenoid. Shouldn't be that hard a fix, but if you have to do it outside in those temps I'd deal with it until summer. lol.
wouldn't a fuse effect my entire locking system and not just my drivers door? I have access to a meter and a heated garage when I head back home today
Old 12-28-2014, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Surkanos
wouldn't a fuse effect my entire locking system and not just my drivers door? I have access to a meter and a heated garage when I head back home today

It probably would, but I don't know what all is on that circuit and it doesn't cost anything to check. I'd probably pull the switch panel off the door trim first and make sure your switch contacts are good and verify you're getting power to the switch. If that's good, then I'd check to see that you're getting power to your solenoid which means you'll have to pull your door trim panel off. That's not hard, but I don't know what kind of hand clearance you'll have to get to the solenoid connector. Once you've done that though and assuming you have power to that point, you're looking at a bad solenoid.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rick's 06
It probably would, but I don't know what all is on that circuit and it doesn't cost anything to check. I'd probably pull the switch panel off the door trim first and make sure your switch contacts are good and verify you're getting power to the switch. If that's good, then I'd check to see that you're getting power to your solenoid which means you'll have to pull your door trim panel off. That's not hard, but I don't know what kind of hand clearance you'll have to get to the solenoid connector. Once you've done that though and assuming you have power to that point, you're looking at a bad solenoid.
after starting my truck again 2 hours later it works perfectly fine now. So weird. Thanks for ur help anyways Rick!!
Old 12-28-2014, 06:02 PM

Glad it's back. Hopefully it stays that way.

Quick Reply: Drivers lock not working