Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Drive shaft clunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drive shaft clunk

I did some searching for my problem but could not find exactly my same problem. I have a 2005 4x4 5.3. When I take off from a start 95% of the time I hear a clunk when starting out from a stop. From my research I think it might be the drivehsaft needing to be lubed. I have seen several posts about this but the drive shafts have been the 2 piece driveshaft. Can you get this same clunk sound with a one piece shaft? Or is there something else it could be. I've replaced the fluid in the diff, made no difference. I added a bottle of friction stablizer, would another bottle help? I used royal purple fluid and it is supposed to have friction stableizers in it so I dont know if any more would help. Any help would be appreciated. Also is there an easy way to see if your limited slip is working correctly?
Old 11-24-2014, 06:46 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I have had this with my truck for a while. I also have a one piece driveshaft. and there is a slip yoke just like the two piece ones but it happens to be in the transfer case. what I have done to fight this clunk is drop the drive shaft by removing the 4 (12mm 12point bolts I believe) on the rear of the drive shaft. then pry it away from the rear end so you can pull it out of the transfer case. when you separate it make sure you have a mark to line it back up when you put it back. now you will notice on the separated end there is splines on the inside. you can then put Teflon grease on the splines and re-assemble it. only thing is you might have todo it a time or two till you figure out how much grease to use and it is defiantly not permanent.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, same here, I had the problem too. I greased the hell out of it, but the splines on the yoke were already too worn and it didn't help too much. I eventually replaced my driveshaft due to a vibration and greased up that one, now it is perfect.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:24 PM

Thanks guys, one last question, is it possible to apply to much grease? And what is the best grease to use? Bill you used teflon grease, is this a grease with teflon in it or is the entire grease teflon? hope that makes sense. Would wheelbearing grease work?
Old 11-25-2014, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by nasars
Thanks guys, one last question, is it possible to apply to much grease? And what is the best grease to use? Bill you used teflon grease, is this a grease with teflon in it or is the entire grease teflon? hope that makes sense. Would wheelbearing grease work?
I've used a large variety of grease some last longer than others. I just say use Teflon because that's what ford recommends. I have used wheel bearing grease too but like said above it's not really a true fix. mine is worn to the point where grease doesn't do much any more. but if you put to much grease on it you won't be able to slide the two back together due to it forming a seal and compressing air. You will figure it out when you do it. good luck and if you need to you can let me know if you need help I could make a video on it, I should do mine again.
The following users liked this post:
beantown617 (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 12:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bill2014
I've used a large variety of grease some last longer than others. I just say use Teflon because that's what ford recommends. I have used wheel bearing grease too but like said above it's not really a true fix. mine is worn to the point where grease doesn't do much any more. but if you put to much grease on it you won't be able to slide the two back together due to it forming a seal and compressing air. You will figure it out when you do it. good luck and if you need to you can let me know if you need help I could make a video on it, I should do mine again.
Thatd be great if you had a video on it next time you do it 😁
Old 11-26-2014, 01:37 PM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

I did the same, I dropped my driveshaft, pulled the spline out (marked it all as I like to put things back the same way haha), added the Ford recommended grease and had no improvement. I don't really get mine at take-off though, I get mine during the 2-1 shifting which has an ECU update for it. I haven't brought mine in to do that though and I've lived with it for a few years.

The grease on the 2-piece shafts is to fix the slip-bump during acceleration. It's more of a holding during acceleration then when there's less load the driveshaft bumps the truck. It's not exactly what I have but I tried the grease anyways with no luck.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:42 PM

Bill a video would be great, I would really appreciate that! Thanks for all your input.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:32 AM

ya I could do a video I will post it in a couple days I am busy snow plowing tonight
Old 11-30-2014, 11:14 AM

here is a link to the video hope it helps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozo4...ature=youtu.be
The following users liked this post:
beantown617 (11-30-2014)

Quick Reply: Drive shaft clunk