Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Door Latch fix did not work

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 08:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Door Latch fix did not work

I replaced the plastic ends of the rear door latch cable (top) on my 2004 extended cab that commonly dryrot and break. The fix was pretty straightforward, replacing the plastic with the aluminum ends that vendors sell on Ebay. The cable now moves like it should but the grey catch (see photo) on the latch does not act like it is connected to the release mechanism. The door will open and close now but the top latch does not operate at all. Only the bottom latch is holding the door closed. Has anyone had this issue after replacing the ends? The cable ball is still in the metal tab it attaches to.
Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2015, 06:50 AM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

I've done a couple of these and biggest challenge associated with this job is adjusting the cable when you're done. I recently had the same issue. Check out my video. I discuss the adjusting about half way through. Good luck
Old 10-10-2015, 10:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, I will give that a try. Currently only the bottom is latching and the top I just disconnected while I try and figure this out,
Old 10-10-2015, 11:52 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Kascus
Thanks, I will give that a try. Currently only the bottom is latching and the top I just disconnected while I try and figure this out,
the cable on going to the top needs a lot of slack. Try adjusting the cable one thread at a time.

Quick Reply: Door Latch fix did not work