Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Dome light issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dome light issue

Hi All,

another issue i'm fighting with on this 2006 scab lariat, is the dome/cargo light doesn't come on 90% of the time.
Turning on the lights via the dimmer switch does nothing or opening the doors.
When i open the door, the mileage on the cluster lights up, so i think the door pins are fine.

After searching and reading other posts i'm thinking it's one of 2 things:
1) dimmer switch, but less likely as dimming works perfect at night, other then turning on the dome/cargo lights
2) cluster, from my understanding the control unit is in there

I really don't want to track down another cluster, just so this may happen again. Has anyone successfully repaired the cluster having the dome light issue?

If anyone has other suggestions to look into, please suggest!

Thanks
Old 09-25-2015, 12:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Have you checked the bulb? Possibly the connection itself (between the insert & bulb) is going bad as well.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

x2 on the bulb. if you upgraded the bulb to LED turn it 180° and it should work.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:10 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

The bulbs are fine, as i can turn the map lights on manually by pressing them, and the other 10% of the time the dome/cargo lights work when the door or dimmer is engaged.

It feels like a loose connection somewhere since it's inconsistent - harness/plug, cluster, etc.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2015, 09:05 PM

ok little update...

I removed the dimmer cover area - nice it just pulled out, i expected to remove more...

With the drivers door open, there was no power to the switch on any wire. I would expect one line to be hot, as you should be able to turn on the dome lights from there with no keys in the ignition.

with the head light switch on, one of the wires became live (assuming for the interior lights), but still no dome light when fully turned up.

Can anyone confirm that the dimmer harness should have a live wire when the truck is off, to turn on the done lights?

Thanks
Old 09-28-2015, 07:52 PM

next update...

Lights came back on, and when on, i started to bang on the dash beside the light switch/dimmer and the light were flickering, then went out.

I'm not sure if that was from the switch or vibrations to the cluster (which i hear controls the dome/cargo lights).

Does anyone have a wiring schematic of the whole circuit?
Old 09-30-2015, 08:29 PM

OK last update....

I tried an alternate dimmer switch - no luck

I tried an alternate lariat cluster - worked!

When I put my old cluster back in I noticed that if I applied pressure to the right harness the interior lights would work again.
I remove the plastic backing from the cluster and looked for any broken solder or cold solder joints - all visually looked good.
So I stuck a rubber gomet between the back of the cluster housing and the right plug harness, this maintains the pressure.

It's been 2 days and so far so good.
I'm sure eventually I'll have to dig further into the real wiring issue of the cluster; but until then, I can see at night!

I hope this helps someone in the future.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Dome light issue