Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Dome light and cargo light problems...help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 12:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Dome light and cargo light problems...help!!

I just bought a 2006 f150 extended cab, real nice. I'm having problems with the dome lights and cargo light just randomly turning on either while I'm driving, or when I shut the door after turning it off, it will stay lit sometimes. The only fix to this is to give it a good whack on the left side of the dash, usually above the dimmer. If I'm driving along and it turns on, a good whack does the trick. I've tried the wd-40 in the door latches, no results. Asked the dealer about fixing and I was told it would a couple hundred dollars. I'm not spending a couple hundred dollars on one wire. Someone help me please!!?
Old 09-06-2015, 12:14 AM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by SamMcClurg
I just bought a 2006 f150 extended cab, real nice. I'm having problems with the dome lights and cargo light just randomly turning on either while I'm driving, or when I shut the door after turning it off, it will stay lit sometimes. The only fix to this is to give it a good whack on the left side of the dash, usually above the dimmer. If I'm driving along and it turns on, a good whack does the trick. I've tried the wd-40 in the door latches, no results. Asked the dealer about fixing and I was told it would a couple hundred dollars. I'm not spending a couple hundred dollars on one wire. Someone help me please!!?
I would Check the door switches
Old 09-06-2015, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by GhostriderI
I would Check the door switches
I've read that's a possibility. I thought something might be wrong behind the dimmer because it'll turn off after a good smack on the dash. How do I know of the door switches are bad?
Old 09-06-2015, 12:48 AM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

I've read that's a possibility. I thought something might be wrong behind the dimmer because it'll turn off after a good smack on the dash. How do I know of the door switches are bad?
It could be your dimmer switch too, don't rule it out until you can rule it out.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:48 AM
Senior

Are your door switches on the front post of the door opening?
Old 09-06-2015, 12:50 AM
Senior

Originally Posted by johnny_tucson
It could be your dimmer switch too, don't rule it out until you can rule it out.
Are you talking about the dimmer switch in the headlight switch for the dash lights? just asking for clarification.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:31 AM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostriderI
Are you talking about the dimmer switch in the headlight switch for the dash lights? just asking for clarification.
Yes. I might would pull that apart and visually inspect the wires and such. Do you notice any flickering when using the dimmer roller? That might indicate issue with the actual switch itself.

Trending Topics

Old 09-06-2015, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by johnny_tucson
I don't think it's a problem with the dimmer switch. That seems to work just fine and I don't think there's anything with a door switch. It seems to be inside the dash, like a wire or something that's hooked up to the dome lights/reading lights. Hence why when they come on you can hit the dash on the left side and they go off
Old 09-06-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Then either a wire is does not have full contact or the switch is bad, hence the dimmer switch is where your hitting the dash
Old 10-26-2015, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the exact same problem on my 2005 f150. What's the fix???

Quick Reply: Dome light and cargo light problems...help!!