Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

DIY SCAB system help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY SCAB system help!

So im wanting to build a sub box for my 08 SCAB...thats the easy part for me. I need some help from a system guru. I want a good sounding system so ill need to know what type of sub and amp i should look into, im the poor college type so nothing to wild just a good sounding system on the cheap! Please share your knowledge it is much needed!!
Old 01-02-2012, 06:43 PM

Pioneer makes some decent sounding shallows. And I know you can fit 2 JL w1 in under the seat. I'm a high school student and I've got 2 JL 13TW5 and try hit hard for a shallow and my buddy has 2 pioneer shallows and they're super clean!
Old 01-02-2012, 06:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got this box: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-y66DFYy...re.html?tp=129

And this sub for it: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113XRW1...n-XR-W12F.html

I have read nothing but great things about that sub and I found it on
Amazon for $90 Amazon for $90

I am expecting it to be a killer combo for only $160.

As soon as the box gets here I will let you know how they sound together. I am just using an old 800w sony amp that I have had forever so I have no help for you there.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:56 PM

coolblue-what kind of amp are you using to push them with?

Storm150- i was looking at that same box recently i might try to make it it looks pretty simple. and that sub looks nice esp for the price!!! Let me know how it sounds man!

Last edited by Lucky575; 01-02-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by storm150
I got this box: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-y66DFYy...re.html?tp=129

And this sub for it: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113XRW1...n-XR-W12F.html

I have read nothing but great things about that sub and I found it on Amazon for $90.

I am expecting it to be a killer combo for only $160.

As soon as the box gets here I will let you know how they sound together. I am just using an old 800w sony amp that I have had forever so I have no help for you there.
Do you have a supercab or supercrew? I was looking at that box and it seems everyone that has it, has a supercrew, and it seems the supercrew seats sit higher in the back than supercab.

I've been looking at the polk mm1240 sub to use in this box.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Ex Badge Bunny

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

For the record, you do NOT have to go with shallow mounts if you don't want to...

I have two 10" DC Audio Level II competition subs in a down-firing box. IMO, down-firing boxes are your best bet. The bass gets sent directly to the frame of the truck, which takes out all of the unnecessary 'crap' noise, but bumps like crazy. My system sounds extremely clean with this setup. The subs are relatively inexpensive for comp subs. These are the subs I went with (level II) :

http://dcsoundlab.com/woofers.html

I mounted the amp to the wall behind the rear seats (yes, you have to remove the rear seats to do this...), but my 1000w D class amp wouldn't fit under the front seats and I didn't want it visible or in the way.

Are you replacing the door speakers?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:32 PM

Sweet good to know the shallow mounts aren't my only option. i have a couple of regular 12's at my house i haven't taking a look at just yet but i need too. save some of those green backs $$. i will eventually be replacing the door speakers any suggestions on those?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scobar
Do you have a supercab or supercrew? I was looking at that box and it seems everyone that has it, has a supercrew, and it seems the supercrew seats sit higher in the back than supercab.

I've been looking at the polk mm1240 sub to use in this box.
Scab. Crutchfield said it will fit so I sure hope it does. I'll report back when it gets here though.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Ex Badge Bunny

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky575
Sweet good to know the shallow mounts aren't my only option. i have a couple of regular 12's at my house i haven't taking a look at just yet but i need too. save some of those green backs $$. i will eventually be replacing the door speakers any suggestions on those?

The mounting depth on my subs are 5.5", but I think that's about as much as you can stuff under there depending on the box.

As far as door speakers go, it's personal preference... I have Sony 3-ways on all 4 doors, and I'm really happy with them. The mids and highs are just right.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RaiderH8r89

The mounting depth on my subs are 5.5", but I think that's about as much as you can stuff under there depending on the box.

As far as door speakers go, it's personal preference... I have Sony 3-ways on all 4 doors, and I'm really happy with them. The mids and highs are just right.
How much does it cost for all of your door speakers? And do they sound decent without subs? I'm not the type that blasts music all the time, but the stock speakers are just crap.

Quick Reply: DIY SCAB system help!