Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Did an oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Did an oil change

Did my first oil change today....and boy was that a treat. In an effort to avoid splashing seven quarts of oil in my garage floor, I had to literally lay underneath the truck and hold the plug in and control the flow of the oil drainging out. I guess it worked o.k....all except for burning my fingers and getting oil on my face. You'd figure they could have put that stabilizer bar in a different place.

I must say, the oil filter set up is a pretty neat deal.....no mess at all.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:52 PM
workin for parts!!!

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

anybody tried these? http://www.f150store.com/Browse/Plat...componentID=45 the oil drain plug.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:00 PM

You know.....that might not be a half bad idea. I had a Fram kit on my old Dodge Dakota, where you replaced the stock drain plug with another, that had a cap and was designed for a hose to screw on to it. When you did that, it compressed a spring loaded valve which would let the oil run through. Saved some mess, but the hose was a mess to store and the plug didn't really seal that well.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:06 PM
workin for parts!!!

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

we have these on our graders out where i work,and they seem to do well. the only problem i can forsee is if you snag it while offroading you'll lose your oil, but if you snag it you've probably got bigger problems. the stock plug sits a lot more flush against the oilpan.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:12 PM

I should be o.k.....about the only offroading I do is going off the shoulder of the road to pass a long line of cars at a stop sign....LOL!!!

You're rigt....if someone ended up snagging something that far up above the chassis....they've got alot more problems.....
Old 12-01-2007, 09:54 PM

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 05 super
anybody tried these? http://www.f150store.com/Browse/Plat...componentID=45 the oil drain plug.
I have actually heard of people losing all of their oil without knowing using those things! Supposedly they arent hard to snag and open at all. Not to mention if they wear out over time making it easier for the valve to open. I wouldn't use one on my truck.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not done an oil change on mine yet, but i'll find out soon.

Trending Topics

Old 12-02-2007, 07:26 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 06KR
I have not done an oil change on mine yet, but i'll find out soon.
If it's gonna be the first oil change for the truck you might want to consider taking it to the dealer and then you do them from there. That oil filter is put on by Hercules. If you want to do it anyways then get one of those claw type filter removers THIS ONE or one similar. Sears sells one that's a Craftsman
Old 12-02-2007, 08:50 PM

That's good advice.....but I was lucky enough to get my old fashioned flex handle "clamp" wrench up around it enough to break it loose. Granted, it was pretty damned tight....too tight to loosen by hand, anyways. There's not much room up there to work with the type of wrench I have, but just enough to break it loose......it just takes alot of patience and elbow grease.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:54 PM

Hercules is a robot at the engine plant. ALL the modular motors oil filters are overtorqued.

Quick Reply: Did an oil change