Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Cruise Issue - Empty connector under driver dash

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Issue - Empty connector under driver dash

Hey guys -- first post here, but I've found lots of helpful info on a few issues I've been able to remedy on my 2005 Lariat Supercrew, but I still have not been able to resolve my cruise control issue. Went through the normal checklist -- third brake light, fuses, checked and cleaned the brake light switch, and finally replaced the SW6546 switch this morning thinking that had to be the solution -- but no luck. Just bought the truck used in great shape and low mileage. For the sake of clarity, when I press the steering wheel cruise switch ON button, nothing happens (no cruise indicator light illuminates on the gauge display).

Out of ideas (aside from replacing the steering wheel controls), I figured I would remove the panel under the steering column to see if there are any connections that are loose. Directly under the steering wheel and just to the left of and slightly above the OBD diagnostic connector, I found two connectors side by side (see attached photo). The one on the left is connected to a wiring harness that runs up into the steering wheel (I assume for audio/temp controls which DO work), but the one on the right is empty. I say "empty" instead of "disconnected" because I don't see any harness hanging next to it that would plug into this connector. I'm wondering if this is actually where the cruise control harness is supposed to connect and maybe it was taken out at some point as a temp fix for a recall, but I can't seem to find any info or diagram online as to what this connector is for. Perhaps something to note: this empty connector has a small white mark on it as if it were marked with a white-out pen.

Does it sound like I'm onto something here? Does anyone know what this connector is for or if it is supposed to be empty? Seems like the last link in an otherwise fully checked and repaired system. Thanks so much in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Cruise Issue - Empty connector under driver dash-img_2163.jpg  
Old 12-10-2017, 05:25 PM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

good possibility.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:08 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

I'm thinking it's the clock spring.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:20 PM

So I uninstalled the horn/airbag from the center of the steering wheel and took a look underneath. Both the left (cruise) and right (audio/temp) steering wheel controls are plugged in and connect a few inches down the harness. Didn't see anything unplugged that may lead to that empty connector I mentioned. Appears the recalled clockspring harness was replaced with the new braided one.

I considered the clockspring, but the airbag system seems to work fine as does the indicator light (lights up momentarily when I turn the key, then goes away right after turning ignition -- no blinking or staying on -- and the passenger airbag light above the stereo works as well). Horn works, no ABS warning light coming on, have to press the shifter button to shift out of park, none of the usual telling signs/issues except that the cruise just doesn't turn on at all and no indicator light. Is there a way to know for sure that it's the clockspring? Really don't want to spend $130 to test it out.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:22 PM

Something tells me I'm going to have to take it in to the dealer... but I've come this far and really want to figure this out on my own for a little taste of victory lol.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check all fuses and the brake switch under the pedal. That break switch will cancel the cruise if not operating right (like a $15 switch). Check your tail lights and make sure they illuminate when the brakes are depressed.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nynd
Check all fuses and the brake switch under the pedal. That break switch will cancel the cruise if not operating right (like a $15 switch). Check your tail lights and make sure they illuminate when the brakes are depressed.
As I mentioned, all fuses are good, replaced the brake switch (blue and white switch) and all tail lights work including third light.

Trending Topics

Old 12-10-2017, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought - was this the original steering wheel with the truck? Seen in the past where someone swaps a wheel and maybe the truck never had cruise? For 2005, I'm guessing they use a cruise unit mounted in the engine compartment (like in pic)? If so, did you check all connections? If it isn't present, I wonder if someone swapped the wheel and put one in with cruise switches whereas the truck was never equipped with cruise?
Attached Thumbnails Cruise Issue - Empty connector under driver dash-cruise.jpg  
Old 12-11-2017, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Nynd
Just a thought - was this the original steering wheel with the truck? Seen in the past where someone swaps a wheel and maybe the truck never had cruise? For 2005, I'm guessing they use a cruise unit mounted in the engine compartment (like in pic)? If so, did you check all connections? If it isn't present, I wonder if someone swapped the wheel and put one in with cruise switches whereas the truck was never equipped with cruise?
I don't know for sure, but I believe it's the original steering wheel because it's a Lariat and I think they all came with cruise as a standard option. It was owned by an older lady so I doubt she would have put a new steering wheel in.

I'll try to find the cruise module later today and report back.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:32 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

I moved you to the 04-08 section in hopes you might get better results (more traffic) I can not tell you what that empty plug is for but someone else might be able to.

Quick Reply: Cruise Issue - Empty connector under driver dash