Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Cruise Control Help!

Old 11-02-2012, 10:10 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Cruise Control Help!

I have a 2004 Fx4 and I am having the cruise control problem like many of you have. I have read thru many of the threads and feel that it could be my brake interlock solenoid in the center console. I can shift out of park w/o using the brake and also when putting it into park, many times I have to push on the shifter to get it to lock into park. I have tried a brake switch w/o luck. No led lights on my truck also. It used to work and then quit, to not working at all. The other day I put a new battery in the truck and it started to work again. However, the following day its back to the same ole same ole of not working. Am I correct thinking it’s the solenoid or is there something I'm missing? Also if it is, where can I find the part, I have had no such luck in locating one. My mechanic says he can get the part and change it out for a little over $200, is this worth just having him fix it? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-17-2012, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you figured this out yet? I have a 2004 fx4 that's acting the same. I'll be driving with my cruise on and it just shuts off. Then wont come back on. I can also put my truck in drive without pushing the brake. I'm thinking its the shift interlock solenoid.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:22 PM

No luck yet, I have also discovered my cruise works when the temperature outside is cooler, drove an hour the other day when it was in the 30's and it worked fine. When the temps warm up it doesn't work at all. I'm stumped now cause I can't see how the temperature would affect the shift interlock. I was told to check for a speed sensor on the transmission. They said they had a Chevy that would do the same thing, but I've been up at deer camp and have yet to have time to look into that more!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:14 AM

Update...After some more research I'm fairly certain that it’s the shift interlock solenoid that has gone bad. My mechanic quoted me a little over $200 to replace it which isn't bad, but I was able to get the part myself from Tascaparts.com for a little over $100 shipped to my door. I've read a few "how to" on the forums about replacing it and feel that I should be able to do it w/o any problems. I hope to get to it today or sometime this weekend! I'll be sure to post if this takes care of my problem!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:41 PM

Got around to changing the shift interlock solenoid tonight and seems to have taken of the problem. A buddy gave me a hand and it only took us about 30 minutes to change it out. Took it for a short test drive and the cruise seemed to work fine. Have plans for a road trip tomorrow so the real test will be then, but so far good!
Old 12-08-2012, 03:54 AM

That's great news. Thanks for updating. Do you know if that's something I can get from my local ford dealer? Or autozone?
Old 12-08-2012, 03:57 AM

And did that take car of both issues? Cruise and shifting out of park without the brake?
Old 12-08-2012, 04:18 PM

So far it has taken care of both issues, I was able to take it for a long drive to really test it, but seems to work fine on short drives. And I had no luck getting it from a local parts place such as Autozone. Either have to get it from a dealership or what I recommend is Tasca parts online. They were way cheaper than the dealerships and I had my part two day after ordering it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cruise Control Help!