Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Condensation under glove box

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Condensation under glove box

Not sure what it has to do with it or why this was happening, but I took my 2005 fx4 mudding today and drove through a pretty large puddle to where a little bit of water splashed up over my hood. On the way home I noticed a funny noise and saw that this black plastic box underneath the glove box box had condensation all over it and was very cold. I have never noticed this before and if anyone knows what this component is and why it may be doing this please help. Just a little worried it could be a problem!

Condensation under glove box-image-3747036131.jpg
Old 01-09-2013, 11:15 PM

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I had that same thing happen last week. I have no idea why. I didn't cross any streams or anything but it was raining pretty hard. Interested to see the response to this. Maybe something to do with the windshield wiper cowl? Mine is almost torn apart.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:47 PM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

maybe the A/C plenum drain tube is clogged... there is pictures here somewhere...

Last edited by picaflor; 01-10-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:50 PM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

here it is:
https://www.f150forum.com/f4/need-he...er-leak-36917/
and here is the TSB:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fo..._150727_A1.pdf
Old 01-10-2013, 06:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah I'd say your drain is really clogged up. From underneath your truck you should be able to look up above the forward oxygen sensor and on the firewall you'll see a black plastic shield, it's covering your drain tube outlet. There's a TSB out to install an elbow on that outlet too. Do a search on A/C drain elbow and you'll find more on it. Pry the black plastic shield off with a long screw driver, it won't be used once you put the elbow on there.

-Mike

You can drill a 1/2" hole for a quick cleanout in this area ... don't go left of the actual drain outlet though or you'll hit the evaporator ! Cover it with black duct tape when done.

Name:  FordPlenumcleanouthole_zps0b7b00fd.jpg
Views: 4276
Size:  76.9 KB

Black plastic shield over the A/C drain outlet....

Elbow installed on outlet....

Last edited by Hamfisted; 01-10-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:43 PM

Thanks for the help both of you! This would definitely be a logical explanation for the problem and I will look into it when I get the chance. The TSB and other posts made it sound like this problem is a true leak rather than the condensation all over the box that I am experiencing. Is that still the same problem? Just want to make sure.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Cold plenum....

All that condensation you're seeing on your A/C plenum is because it's colder than the surrounding air. On the right side of the evaporator the air should still be warm, or the same temp as the surrounding air, unless there is a build up of super cold water chilling it. If the drain is open and draining correctly there should be no standing super cold water on that side of the evaporator. The evaporator is inside the plenum about where the left side of the glove box comes down. To the left of the actual drain outlet you see exiting the firewall at the bottom of the plenum.

-Mike
Old 01-11-2013, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Hamfisted
All that condensation you're seeing on your A/C plenum is because it's colder than the surrounding air. On the right side of the evaporator the air should still be warm, or the same temp as the surrounding air, unless there is a build up of super cold water chilling it. If the drain is open and draining correctly there should be no standing super cold water on that side of the evaporator. The evaporator is inside the plenum about where the left side of the glove box comes down. To the left of the actual drain outlet you see exiting the firewall at the bottom of the plenum.

-Mike
That makes much more sense. Thank you!

Quick Reply: Condensation under glove box